Site seemingly ignoring CSS/HTML

ShadowMage

Hey guys,This is a pretty generic question, but I have a user who is having display issues in IE8. The page displays fine for me, and I checked with another user and the page also displays fine for him. I checked it with identical versions of IE8 all on the same versions of Win XP. Yet for some reason the one computer displays the page as though half the CSS is missing and/or the HTML is invalid. Elements break to new lines where they shouldn't. Scrollbars are appearing on the wrapper div. There are myriad problems, but I don't even know where to start looking for a solution. I cleared cache, verified that the CSS files were indeed being accessed, the JavaScript is running (though I get an error).Any ideas?Oh, if it helps, the site is an intranet application.Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Did yuou check the source code of that page in your browser?It sounds as if the stylesheet might not have loaded correctly once and from that moment it's loading a corrupt stylesheet from the cache memory.

Did yuou check the source code of that page in your browser?It sounds as if the stylesheet might not have loaded correctly once and from that moment it's loading a corrupt stylesheet from the cache memory.
Yes, I checked the source code. I checked to make sure the stylesheet was correct. I cleared cache to make sure it was loading a fresh one. Still no dice.EDIT:I also checked an older version of the app. I pulled it from my periodic backups and placed it in the webroot with a new name. (Ie, the current version is portal.domain.com/WebApp, I pulled my previous version and put it at portal.domain.com/WebApp_B5) I still get the same results.

reinstall the browser? do other (outside accesible) sites work fine?
I suppose I could reinstall....although I just learned that there is another user having the same problem....ugh, I hate IE...:)Yes, other sites seem to work just fine. External sites as well as other internal sites...

I suppose I could reinstall....although I just learned that there is another user having the same problem....ugh, I hate IE...:)Yes, other sites seem to work just fine. External sites as well as other internal sites...
probably time to take some screen shots of IE preferences/settings on a working IE machine, and compare to that of the non-working one, unless you have laptops, so that you can bring one to the other, or vice-versa.chances are if it works fine somewhere but not elsewhere given all common hardware/software components are similar in make/model, then it's gonna come down to an environment issue, in this case the settings/preferences of one machine vs. another.

probably time to take some screen shots of IE preferences/settings on a working IE machine, and compare to that of the non-working one, unless you have laptops, so that you can bring one to the other, or vice-versa.chances are if it works fine somewhere but not elsewhere given all common hardware/software components are similar in make/model, then it's gonna come down to an environment issue, in this case the settings/preferences of one machine vs. another.
Yeah, I figured it would boil down to user preferences/settings...I might be easier to just reinstall IE8 than to try and track down exactly what changed, though, so I think that's what I'll probably end up doing.Thanks for your help guys.

Archived