Web Dev Team?

TheGallery

Hello everyone, i am new in web development and i wanted to ask if any of you guys have any web dev teams consisted from amateurs like me. I'd like to join a team and take some projects for extra practice. If you are interested and you need more info let me know with a reply so i can give you my contact information.

are you looking for frontend or backend development?

Good question.I know PHP, HTML, CSS and a little JavaScript. I am a beginner though as i mentioned. I am not really good with graphics. I think i'd prefer to work in the backend development but as a beginner i worry about security issues. I wouldn't like to miss something that could make the script vulnerable. That's my only concern. Other than that i'd like to work in this section than the designing. It's not a final decision though. I haven't done anything important yet to say, i am better in this section than the other.

do you have a portfolio of any work you've done on your own? Demonstrating basic capability with the languages you say you have familiarity would be a good way to at least get your foot in the door.

No i am afraid i don't. That's what i am aiming for and that's why i am looking for a team of beginners just like me. I am not interested in a job, i am interested in practicing with people that have equal experience with me and taking up specific projects (like, being responsible for a login/register page).

right, and I'm saying that since you say you

know PHP, HTML, CSS and a little JavaScript
being able to show a little motivation in creating even a basic project is going to get you further then just asking for it. I know you aren't looking for a job, but unless you have formal education, you should at least have a way to highlight the competencies you say you have. A good employer will recognize that even if you aren't all the experienced. They would rather train someone who's got at least something to show for themselves, rather than just someone who say's it, without anything to back it up.Even if it's just a simple order form for a basic inventory system allowing someone to INSERT/UPDATE records (maybe even try a simple login script, with the user already in the table). basic stuff done well can be very attractive to someone willing to invest their time to help teach you.

I know exactly what you mean. But i took the courage to start this topic because a friend is working on a project and he found some people that wanted to work on a website (based on a project like my friend's). They just wanted to join a project, they did show him a sample of the website of course. That's the kind of team i am looking for. I know in order to get to something more serious i definitely have to demonstrate something. But i am in this stage that want to create the things i'll demonstrate later. Maybe i have high expectations and think that things are "that easy". What would be your suggestions then? How should i start setting up my portfolio? Should i just get an idea for a website and build it so i got something to show? Maybe this should be the real topic. Thanks a lot for your replies.

I'm not saying you need to build a portfolio. I'm just trying to tell you that all you need is an example of something that you've taught yourself and can apply practically. Anyone can say they know something, whether they can apply it practically is a different story. Most companies that take interns take them from school's where they've been taught the material and can demonstrate working knowledge of what they've learned. They are by no means at an enterprise level, but at least they've taken the time to work towards a degree. It show initiative and motivation. You can do the same by building a simple webpage. If you want to do backend stuff, then the recommendation I made of a simple working order/inventory form that does INSERT/UPDATE, and then display's the output is a good project. It will give them an easy way of assessing your capabilities, so that they can determine if you have the potential worth investing their time in.

Well the only thing i got available so far is the one in the link following the text. It's not completed yet though. Do you mean something in this scale will be enough?(but in bigger quantity, like more projects)? Try logging with this info to check it outUsername: testPass: 123456Here is the link: http://jo-projects.webatu.com/CMS/index.php

yeah, that seems like a good start. It was just a matter of having something to show, talk about, discuss, peer-to-peer. It's a lot of little things employers look for. Being able to have something to talk about, goals, ambitions, past mistakes, successes, etc. Can't hurt to try right?

I mean that given the best work you can do, presenting it to employers/dev teams with the hope of being brought on board presents no risk to you. You'll never know your standing to a company without knowing what they consider to be good work. Some companies value standards and best practices, other maybe not. I can't read your code, and I have not met you in person. It would take more than just a brief encounter on a forum to make my decision. I would at the very least want to peer review your code, talk to you, etc. like I mentioned in my previous post. All I can say is try. It can't hurt. At the very least you will get some good feedback if they are truly professional, as professionals understand that they are in a position to mentor, even if it's just to give advice.

So, your suggestion is to keep working on small projects (similar to the one i linked above) till i have "enough" to demonstrate?Edit: Nevermind that, you already answered me. Thanks again for your replies and your time.

Archived