Enter integer into db

son

I think that I have been coding incorrectly for many years with regard to integers and I just stubled upon this. I use:

if (!isset($_POST['webStyle']) OR empty($_POST['webStyle'])) 			{			$webStyle = FALSE;        	$errors['webStyle'] = 'Colour';			} 			else				{				$webStyle = escape_data($_POST['webStyle']);			}

something like this when I offer selections on web form that feed into table column that holds integer. Having had a tiny issue and using var_dump it became now apparent that I treat those integer values like strings. Do I need to code some other special precausion into the code or could I simply set $webStyle = $_POST['webStyle'] for example?Son

Everything that's in the $_POST array is a string. You can set it to integer using the intval() function.
Is it good practice to use intval() function before inserting into db (instead of escaping)? Just want to make sure I do not continue with mistakes and learn a better method of coding safely...Son

Is it good practice to use intval() function before inserting into db (instead of escaping)? Just want to make sure I do not continue with mistakes and learn a better method of coding safely...Son
If the value is supposed to be an integer, yes. I use intval() on my integers, floatval() on my floats. If the value is a string then I use mysql_real_escape_string().

If the value is supposed to be an integer, yes. I use intval() on my integers, floatval() on my floats. If the value is a string then I use mysql_real_escape_string().
Thanks Ingolme. Just one more question: what would happen if you didn't? I mean what could really happen? I always have used mysql_real_escape_string(), but actually only because I was told to do so...Son

Thanks Ingolme. Just one more question: what would happen if you didn't? I mean what could really happen? I always have used mysql_real_escape_string(), but actually only because I was told to do so...Son
People can modify your query to do something that it shouldn't.Imagine you have this query
SELECT * FROM table WHERE field='$field'

If somebody puts an apostrophe in $field the query could end up looking like this after being parsed:

SELECT * FROM table WHERE field='O'Reilly'

The apostrophe closes the string earlier than it should, causing the query to be wrong and causing an error to be sent.

• 2 weeks later...
People can modify your query to do something that it shouldn't.Imagine you have this query
SELECT * FROM table WHERE field='$field'

If somebody puts an apostrophe in $field the query could end up looking like this after being parsed:

SELECT * FROM table WHERE field='O'Reilly'

The apostrophe closes the string earlier than it should, causing the query to be wrong and causing an error to be sent.

thanks for clarification Ingolme...Son

Archived