How Does A Web Designer Or Coder Check Browser Compatibility?

tinfanide

Does a coder who works for web design check every browser's compatibility?If so, now I'm using IE9 and I know IE9 is much closer to FF than any of its previous versions.Do I need to install, say, IE6 and IE7 to ensure my web users get the same page effect as I do in IE9?

Internet Explorer 9 has developer tools that let you test versions down to Internet Explorer 7. I wouldn't bother trying to support Internet Explorer 6. It can't get anything right.

I see. But a web developer still has to cater for the needs of FF, Chrome, Safari, Opera users. :Shock:

Those browsers are all reasonably standards-compliant, so you shouldn't usually need to radically change your code to ensure compatibility.

Yes, but why I'm asking this question is because recently I've been doing some getComputedStyle thing andI surfed the net and found some wordings like getCurrentStyle is for IE so I've been worried if some of the IE users missed some of my pages.I don't know what I'm saying, just a bit disorientating, the browser issue...

Develop for Firefox (and all standard compliant browsers) and then look up alternatives for Internet Explorer. Test for properties, rather than for browsers. Like this:

if(element.getComputedStyle) {  // Use element.getCompĆ¹tedStyle} else if(element.getCurrentStyle) {  // Use element.getCurrentStyle} else {  // Maybe an older browser doesn't support any of these properties, try to make it work but in a less sophisticated way}

A solution, if you know what feature your trying to use, is the PHP browscap file, which is an add on to the PHP program. It lists what each browsers do and do not support. With it you can have your script check if the feature is supported then give an alternative if it's not. Note that some hosts don't support it, such as hostgator (unless you pay for there higher end hosting). Was this what your wanting? The only alternative if your just wanting to know if all browsers support it or not is to Google it with something like "does broserX support ..." I actually have all 5 main browsers installed o my computer. If you do a lot of scripting i recommend installing them just to make sure the page looks the same on all browsers. And I agree with ingolme. Not much point in supporting way old browsers, such as IE6. To much work and to sloppy codding. Also a sub note, just cause it works in FF doesn't mean it works in chrome, Oprah, and so on 9/10 it will, but there are still small variations to how each one processes the code.

A solution, if you know what feature your trying to use, is the PHP browscap file, which is an add on to the PHP program. It lists what each browsers do and do not support. With it you can have your script check if the feature is supported then give an alternative if it's not. Note that some hosts don't support it, such as hostgator (unless you pay for there higher end hosting). Was this what your wanting? The only alternative if your just wanting to know if all browsers support it or not is to Google it with something like "does broserX support ..." I actually have all 5 main browsers installed o my computer. If you do a lot of scripting i recommend installing them just to make sure the page looks the same on all browsers. And I agree with ingolme. Not much point in supporting way old browsers, such as IE6. To much work and to sloppy codding. Also a sub note, just cause it works in FF doesn't mean it works in chrome, Oprah, and so on 9/10 it will, but there are still small variations to how each one processes the code.
Yes, that's exactly the point.About the PHP thing, I used to work in an institute where it doesn't support PHP on its host (?) but I'd been spending many days working on some php pages before the IT guy told me the server does not support PHP whatsoever... I don't have all the browsers installed, and when I use notepad++ to do the scripting and realise the preview tab on notepad++ where a list of common browsers is listed, I know the rest of the scripting world are busy debugging their pages on almost all browsers...

Really it doesn't take much to install the browsers. The only ones you need to worry about is IE, FF, Chrome, Oprah, and Safari, unless your scripting for a specialized target group. If it works in all of those than it should work in all browsers that matter without going threw to much pointless work. It's necessary to be able to test it in the main browsers though, so I say to just install them, eve3n if you never use them for anything else.

Archived