Warning: Mail() [Function.mail]: Smtp Server Response: 553 Relaying Through This Server Requires Authentication. Please Authenticate Before Sending. I

bigjoe11a

well this is where I'm really lost. I never got this error before. When I try and send an email in php. I get this error, Warning: mail() [function.mail]: SMTP server response: 553 Relaying through this server requires authentication. Please authenticate before sending. in C:\www\vhosts\_static\toppers\vip\mail.php on line 27MAIL FAILED What it is asking for is a user name and password. Well I never had to set that up before. in the php.ini file I never had too. here's my php.ini file

[mail function]; For Win32 only.SMTP = localhostsmtp_port = 25; For Win32 only.;sendmail_from = [email="topper@toppersbbs.info"]topper@toppersbbs.info[/email]sendmail_from = [email="postmaster@localhost.com"]postmaster@localhost.com[/email]; For Unix only.  You may supply arguments as well (default: "sendmail -t -i").;sendmail_path =

Please why is this doing this now. why didn't it do this 6 months ago. Joe

That's a no, There is no SMTP Server. I running this from PHP. I have a PHP script that sends an email.

I didn't know that PHP sends SMTP. and I never had to set that up before. and the SMTP server I do have. Doesn't have any thing to do with PHP. It's a completely different part of the setup I have. Have any ideas. on what to do. I never had to do this before.

The two options are to either enable relaying on the mail server, or have PHP authenticate with it. The PEAR Mail package should be able to do that. The built-in mail function does not allow SMTP authentication. There's an example with PEAR here: http://email.about.com/od/emailprogrammingtips/qt/PHP_Email_SMTP_Authentication.htm

Ok, well what I'm trying to say is that the SMTP server I do run, has nothing to do with the PHP scripts. I just ran the mail() and that's all I have to do to send mail. So why do I have to set that up now. Is there a way to disable that so I can just use the PHP mail()

There are only 2 options, if you don't want to change your code then the only other option is to allow relaying on the mail server. I would suggest that you limit relaying only to the PHP server so that spammers don't figure out that they can send mail through your server.

UPDATE: I am so sorry I didn't know. You see I thought for the last 25 Years that I been running Apache and PHP that PHP had it's own built in SMTP server. Like Perl has it's Sendmail(). Well I didn't know that PHP was using the SMTP Server on some software that I run that has a built in SMTP Server. and It;s been using that server and well I just fount out after 25 years of running Local Web sites. So now I have to try and find another SMTP Server software so I can setup PHP mail from it. and then I have to try and figure out how to setup PHP to see and log in to the SMTP server. Thank you very much for your helpJoe

Archived