Order By

Manny

I run a football (soccer) website and want to display a squad list. Each squad member has a squad number, with the exception of one or two. These squad numbers run from 1-99, though the players who do not have a squad number have this set to zero. As I print my results in PHP, these squad numbers are printed to the screen but I do not want to display the squad number of any player who has it set to zero. I know I could use two queries, such as the ones below:

SELECT * FROM `players` WHERE `squad_number` != '0' ORDER BY `squad_number` ASC

SELECT * FROM `players` WHERE `squad_number` = '0'

The queries above would allow me to display the players in order of squad number, with those set to zero being displayed at the bottom. However, I was wondering if it would be possible to combine these queries into one? I have tried using UNION but this throws up an error because of the ORDER BY clause.

Why don't you just have the squad-number-checking logic in PHP?

if ($data['squad_number'] != 0) echo $data['squad_number'];

or something.

What synook said would work well. And if you wanted to put the numbers + names + other info together just make it into a table.

$query = "SELECT * FROM table";$result_set = ($query, $connection);while($data = mysql_fetch_array($result_set)){<table>if ($data['squad_number'] != 0){echo "<tr><td>{$data['squad_number']}</td><td>{$data['name']}</td></tr>"}else{echo "<tr><td>{$data['squad_number']}</td><td>{$data['name']}</td></tr>"}}</table>

That should work I think.

That is my current solution but as I ordered the numbers in ascending order, those who have it set to zero appear at the top of the table and I want them to appear at the bottom. The PHP code you both posted above is pretty much what I already have to omit the zero values from the table and just print the player's name.

Then just make that else statement an if checking if it IS equal to 0.

$query = "SELECT * FROM table";$result_set = ($query, $connection);while($data = mysql_fetch_array($result_set)){<table>if ($data['squad_number'] != 0){echo "<tr><td>{$data['squad_number']}</td><td>{$data['name']}</td></tr>"}if($data['squad_number'] == 0){echo "<tr><td>{$data['squad_number']}</td><td>{$data['name']}</td></tr>"}}</table>

That would give you what you described :)

Archived