Problem With Js Search - Newbie

rogerg

Hi thereI am struggling with using JS to create a search on a xml file I have built.I have an xml file with over 1000 books listed and I wish to add a search option to it .As I imported an excel file with oxygen to create the xml, I have the xml written in the style<root> <row> <Heading0>English Literature</Heading0> <Heading1>Woolf</Heading1> <Heading2>Virginia</Heading2> <Heading3>To the lighthouse</Heading3> <Heading4>UK</Heading4> <Heading5>english</Heading5> <Heading6></Heading6> </row> <row> <Heading0>Italian Literature</Heading0> <Heading1>Boccaccio</Heading1> <Heading2>Giovanni</Heading2> <Heading3>Decameron</Heading3> <Heading4>IT</Heading4> <Heading5>italiano/deutsch</Heading5> <Heading6></Heading6> </row> ...</root>I have added also a XSL sheet to the XML and a CSS to the XSL.Now, I want to create a javascript search function in an external html file:I have started with something like***********************<!DOCTYPE html><html><head> <link rel="stylesheet" href= "style.css"> <meta content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" http-equiv="content-type"><title>Search</title><script type="text/javascript">window.onload = loadIndex;function loadIndex() { // load indexfile// most current browsers support document.implementation if (document.implementation && document.implementation.createDocument) { xmlDoc = document.implementation.createDocument("", "", null); xmlDoc.load("index.xml"); }// MSIE uses ActiveX else if (window.ActiveXObject) { xmlDoc = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM"); xmlDoc.async = "false"; xmlDoc.load("index.xml"); }}function searchIndex() { // search the index if (!xmlDoc) { loadIndex(); } // get the search term from a form field with id 'searchme' var searchterm = document.getElementById("searchme").Value; var allitems = xmlDoc.getElementsByTagName("row" ); if (searchterm.length < 3) { alert("Enter at least three characters"); } else { for (var i=0;i<allitems.length;i++) {// see if the XML entry matches the search term,// and (if so) store it in an array var name = allitems.lastChild.nodeValue; var exp = new RegExp(searchterm,"i"); if ( name.match(exp) != null) { results.push(allitems); } }// send the results to another function that displays them to the user showResults(results, searchterm); }}// Write search results to a tablefunction showResults(results, searchterm) { if (results.length > 0) {// if there are any results, write them to a table document.write('<div><a href="search2.html">New Search</a></div>You searched for <b><i>'+searchterm+'</i></b><br><br>'); document.write('<table border="1" style="width: 100%;">'); document.write('<tr><th>category</th><th>title</th><th>name</th><th>first name></th><th>country</th><th>language</th><th>year</th><th>With</th></tr>'); for(var i=0; i<results.length; i++) { document.write('<tr>'); document.write('<td>' + results.getAttributeNode("category") + '</td>'); document.write('<td>' + results.getAttributeNode("title") + '</td>'); document.write('<td>' + results.getAttribute("name") + '</td>'); document.write('<td>' + results.getAttribute("first name") + '</td>'); document.write('<td>' + results.getAttribute("country") + '</td>'); document.write('<td>' + results.getAttribute("language") + '</td>'); document.write('<td>' + results.getAttribute("year") + '</td>'); document.write('</tr>'); } document.write('<table>'); document.close(); } else {// else tell the user no matches were found var notfound = alert('No results found for '+searchterm+'!'); }}</script></head><body> <form name="frmMain" id="frmMain" action="" onsubmit="searchIndex(); return false;"><b>Search: </b><br><br><input type="radio" name="criteria" value="category" checked="checked">category <input type="radio" name="criteria" value="title">title <input type="radio" name="criteria" value="name">name <input type="radio" name="criteria" value="first name">first name <input type="radio" name="criteria" value="country">country <input type="radio" name="criteria" value="language">language <input type="radio" name="criteria" value="year">year <br><br><input id="searchme" type="text" size="20"> <br><br><input type="submit" value="Submit" id="btnSearch" /></form></body></html>***********************I think I have to declare the table headings somehow yet, but I don't really know how to do it.after that, those lines are probably wrong for my case?: var searchterm = document.getElementById("searchme").Value; var allitems = xmlDoc.getElementsByTagName("row" );Any help would be appreciated./Roger

• 2 months later...

ok, any idea how to do a simple search function in JS that would work if I have an xml with <row><Heading0>a</Heading0><Heading1>b</Heading1><Heading2>c</Heading2><Heading3>d</Heading3><Heading4>e</Heading4><Heading5>f</Heading5><Heading6>g</Heading6></row>

Archived