A Basic Database Design Question

rakelbara

Hi I have a very basic question regarding the design of a database. I thought I knew the answer, but after seeing an online tutorial on a triple dropdown menu and the design of the demo database, I'm not so sure anymore. Ok here's the setup, there are three tables involved. First table: tblcountryFields: country_id country Second table: tblstateFields: state_id country_id state Third table: tblcityFields: cidy_id state_id city Now my question is: In table three, is it necessary to include the countryid as well? By using SQL you can query which country the city is in....or is it good design to have a reference to the country in the city table?? I hope someone can help :-)

• 2 weeks later...
Now my question is: In table three, is it necessary to include the countryid as well? By using SQL you can query which country the city is in....or is it good design to have a reference to the country in the city table??
I understand there is a city named Guilford in Connecticut, Indiana, Maine, Maryland, New York, Vermont, and North Carolina, and the state of New Jersey has two cities named Springfield.

Archived