Aligning Boxes

george

I have a very simple example of three boxes that I want to line up. Here is what I tried.

<style media="all" type="text/css">* {margin:0; padding:0;}.algnbxs { display:inline-block; }#boxone, #boxtwo, #boxtre { width:100px; height:100px; border:#993399 1px solid; }</style></head><body><span id="boxone" class="algnbxs">The crazy brown fox chased the chicken up the farmer's leg. </span><span id="boxtwo" class="algnbxs">The crazy brown fox chased the chicken up the farmer's leg. </span><span id="boxtre" class="algnbxs">Sam d man</span></body>

The result is the first two boxes aligned, and the third apparently aligned with the last text line of the first two boxes. I used DIV tags at first, then tried using the span tags. The results were the same. I also noticed that when I put a <br /> tag in the second box, this displaces the first box. I want to be able to align three boxes, and then be able to put anything into any box with out it causing the content of another another box to move. I am obviously missing something fundamental here. Please advise. George

Yes, that is correct. The vertical-align property will tell the inline-block where it should be placed relative to the text. All of your inline-blocks are aligned with the bottom of the text, so the boxes with more lines of text will be higher up than the ones with less lines.

Archived