Occupation need advices, opinions.

TheGallery

(I hope you will read the post even though you may think it's too long. I'd really appreciate your help. ) Hello guys, there are two reasons i want to discuss this here. First of all people here are working on the subject i am interested in, and secondly i believe there are members who can guide me to the right direction. I will start by providing some information about me and then i'll proceed with my concerns. I live in Greece, i believe most of you (especially if you live in Europe) will be familiar with the economic situation in our country. It is really bad and it's getting worse and worse. I am 20 and a half years old and i am currently a student in school of economics. The university is in my home town so i live with my parents. I do not have an occupation right now (it's really hard getting a job with the current situation). The things are getting tougher and tougher (from an economic PoV) in my family and i want to start making my own money so my parents have one less thing to worry about. I am not after a lot of money. I don't want to make enough to start living by my own (although that would be the ideal), but i am just saying i am currently looking for something to cover up my expenses (like going out with friends). I estimate my current expenses around 160 Euros/Month. So, i thought i could start working on what i like. And what is that? Web development of course. FYI it's not just something i want to do in my spare time, I want to follow this direction in my future. I know self-teaching have disadvantages over studying but if i ever get a chance (and by chance i mean the money) i will study on this, to fill the blanks. Anyway i thought of freelancing. Although i don't see how this could work. As i have mentioned in another post i am focusing on back-end development. Clients mainly worry about user-experience and their website user interface, and apparently i ###### in this field. I am handling CSS pretty good and i consider my imagination is pretty huge too, but you wouldn't call my layouts "eye-catching" or "standing out between other designs". I know practicing and reading is the way to become better at this but again, i am not that interested in web design as i am in back-end development. So there are two questions i have to ask here. Is there something you have to suggest on the issue i mentioned about freelancing, or it isn't an issue? Are there any other work models i could follow right now? Thanks a lot for taking the time to read the post. Any comments positive or not are welcome. I really need to take act as soon as possible,

I do a lot of work in my spare time for friends and experience, and I too am pretty weak at design, however I still want my personal projects to look good regardless. So I just found a friend of mine who was good at design and had her do the Photoshop work, and then I work with her on the overall concept and output. I take it from there and build the site based on the designs. That could be a good way for you to only focus on on aspect at a time, rather than struggling with design and development at the same time.

I am afraid none of my close friends are related to design or computers at all :-/ My issue is how to take advantage of my skills to start making money. Unless you mean i should try making money from my own projects.

Archived