CSS background URL question

Don E

Hey everyone, For this:

background: url("../images/tit_h3.gif") no-repeat scroll 0pt 0pt transparent;

Can anyone tell me what the author was specifying with scroll, 0pt, 0pt, and transparent? I am not 100 percent sure based on the syntax:

background: color position size repeat origin clip attachment image;

scroll is default. It means that when you scroll the page the background scrolls with it. The 0pt 0pt refers to the offset of the background image relative to the top left corner. Transparent means that the background of the element won't have a color, just an image.

Awesome Shadow.. that's basically what I was looking for. :) Another question just came to mind.. and it has to do with HTML5... Is it necessary or considered to use the new tags when for a lot of them, we can just use divs? For example, there's the <section>, can we still use <div>? I know it's suppose to be more specific, but is it recommended or does it all come down to the developers' preference? Another example is <article>, <header>, <footer> etc... even if we declare the page <!doctype html>, can we still use basic div's for many of these? When I check out the <section> tag at w3schools, doesn't really that different than a <div>. Perhaps some of these new tags have advantages of course but I'm just wondering. Thanks. :)

You can certainly still use divs if you want. The new tags are just meant to be more semantic, in other words to hold special meaning for alternative browsers such as those for visually impaired persons.
I see. So in that case, it would probably be best to implement/use those tags because in case you have a user/visitor that is impaired? Or do does alternative browsers still able to process the info regardless?

They are still able to process the information, but may apply special meaning to semantic tags. A classic example is with screen readers and the <strong> or <em> tags vs <b> or styled <span> tags. When a screen reader encounters a <b> or <span> tag it reads it just like the rest of the text. But when it encounters a <strong> or <em> tag it will place emphasis on words in those tags. A screen reader will process these tags this way even if you style the <b> or <span> tags with CSS to be bold or italic and your <strong> or <em> tags to be normal.

Archived