Image upload resize function

son

I am trying to use the function:

function resize_image($opts){  $src = isset($opts['source']) ? $opts['source'] : '';  $dest = isset($opts['dest']) ? $opts['dest'] : '';  $w = isset($opts['w']) ? intval($opts['w']) : 0;  $h = isset($opts['h']) ? intval($opts['h']) : 0;   if ($src == '')  {	    return;  }  if ($w == 0 && $h == 0)  {	    return;  }  if ($dest == '')	    $dest = $src; // resize in place  // open the image  $ext = strtolower(array_pop(explode('.', $src)));  switch ($ext)  {	    case 'jpg':	    case 'jpeg':		  $i = imagecreatefromjpeg($src);	    break;	    case 'gif':		  $i = imagecreatefromgif($src);	    break;	    case 'png':		  $i = imagecreatefrompng($src);	    break;	    default:		  return;  }  $new_w = imagesx($i);  $new_h = imagesy($i);  if (($w != 0 && $new_w <= $w && $h == 0) ||		  ($w == 0 && $h != 0 && $new_h <= $h) ||		  ($w != 0 && $new_w <= $w && $h != 0 && $new_h <= $h))  {	    // image is small enough	    if ($dest != $src)		  copy($src, $dest);	    return;  }  // determine new size  if ($w != 0 && $new_w > $w)  {	    $new_h = ($w / $new_w) * $new_h;	    $new_w = $w;  }  if ($h != 0 && $new_h > $h)  {	    $new_w = ($h / $new_h) * $new_w;	    $new_h = $h;  }   // resize  $new = imagecreatetruecolor($new_w, $new_h);   if ($ext == 'png' || $ext == 'gif')  {	    $trnprt_indx = imagecolortransparent($i);	    // If we have a specific transparent color	    if ($trnprt_indx >= 0)	    {		  // Get the original image's transparent color's RGB values		  $trnprt_color = imagecolorsforindex($i, $trnprt_indx);		  // Allocate the same color in the new image resource		  $trnprt_indx = imagecolorallocate($new, $trnprt_color['red'], $trnprt_color['green'], $trnprt_color['blue']);		  // Completely fill the background of the new image with allocated color.		  imagefill($new, 0, 0, $trnprt_indx);		  // Set the background color for new image to transparent		  imagecolortransparent($new, $trnprt_indx);	    }	    // Always make a transparent background color for PNGs that don't have one allocated already	    elseif ($ext == 'png')	    {		  // Turn off transparency blending (temporarily)		  imagealphablending($new, false);		  // Create a new transparent color for image		  $color = imagecolorallocatealpha($new, 0, 0, 0, 127);		  // Completely fill the background of the new image with allocated color.		  imagefill($new, 0, 0, $color);		  // Restore transparency blending		  imagesavealpha($new, true);	    }  }  imagecopyresampled($new, $i, 0, 0, 0, 0, $new_w, $new_h, imagesx($i), imagesy($i));  imagedestroy($i);  // save the image  switch ($ext)  {	    case 'jpg':	    case 'jpeg':		  imagejpeg($new, $dest);	    break;	    case 'gif':		  imagegif($new, $dest);	    break;	    case 'png':		  imagepng($new, $dest);	    break;  }  imagedestroy($new);}

by calling it via:

resize_image($absMainPathImgNew, $absMainPathImgNew, 550, 550);resize_image($absMainPathImgNew, $absPreviewPathImgNew, 150, 150);

It does move the first image ok, but does not create the smaller file. It also does not resize (in both cases). Where am I going wrong? Son

That function uses an array as input.

resize_image(array(  'source' => $absMainPathImgNew,  'w' => 550,  'h' => 550)); resize_image(array(  'source' => $absMainPathImgNew,  'dest' => $absPreviewPathImgNew,  'w' => 150,  'h' => 150));

If you leave out dest, like for the first one, it overwrites the image with the resized one. Adding the dest in the second call makes it save the resized image as a new file. You can also leave out either the width or height, if you leave out one of them it will use the one value you gave and calculate the other to be the correct ratio. That function also doesn't resize larger, only smaller. If the image is already small enough it won't resize it to make it larger. It will maintain the correct aspect ratio and make sure both the width and height are smaller or equal to what you tell it.

Actually, just an important improvement for this great funtion. Use:

$extVar = explode('.',$src);$ext = strtolower(array_pop($extVar));

instead of:

$ext = strtolower(array_pop(explode('.', $src)));

I got "Only variables should be passed by reference" when I used the function on another page with image upload and the small change solved the issue... Son

Archived