ShowMyDB - Need Testers

Err

I need debuggers/testers. I tested this using PHP 5.3.5 and MySQL 5.5.8. I need to find to know how well this program works outside my testing environment which is where you guys come in. I would really appreciate some feedback. ShowMyDB is basically a very light-weight version of phpMyAdmin (I use none of their code). I created this for those times when I have no access to a database manager like phpMyAdmin. ShowMyDB has very basic, but useful functions for managing databases without installing complex database managers. ShowMyDB can be easily dragged and dropped into any directory and only creates a single configuration file that it references. It has a login feature to keep unwanted people from accessing it. Best of all, you can change the file name of ShowMyDB to anything and it will work just fine. Doing this prevents unwanted people from guessing if you have it installed on your web server. Known Issues:

• Has problems saving special characters when using the Insert tab.

You can download it here:http://showmydb.dyndns.org/index.php?p=download Note: I got the approval of a moderator to post my project here.

Edited by Err

Hi. Could I ask you a really stupid question? At which point do you not have access to phpMyAdmin when you could have access to this?

Some web servers remove/never install phpMyAdmin because there are some script kiddies out there that check for it and try to use un/known vulnerabilities to get access to the database.

I'd like to help you by testing this but i am only doing basic stuff with databases. Do you think i could be useful only by testing this in basic operations?

Yes. It's entirely up to you, I would love any testers and feedback either way!

Edited by Err

• 4 weeks later...
Guest LH91325
Some web servers remove/never install phpMyAdmin because there are some script kiddies out there that check for it and try to use un/known vulnerabilities to get access to the database.
I'm trying to think of an example of somebody who has sufficient access to install your program, who doesn't have sufficient access to just go ahead and install their own copy of phpMyAdmin. I can't think of a single instance where somebody would be able to install yours but not theirs. Additionally, what makes you think your program is secure just because it's different than phpMyAdmin? That's just security via obscurity, a very poor means of security. With phpMyAdmin at least there's lots of eyes on it and vulnerabilities are quickly addressed because of the huge user base. What happens when your program is found to have a vulnerability? I'm sorry to sound critical of your idea and I'm sure you've put a lot of work into it and you should understand why possible users may decide to just install phpMyAdmin. Price for either package is the same, right?

I never claimed that my program is secure because it is different than phpMyAdmin. It is one feature that the file name can be changed but it is by no means my only security measure. That is the main point of posting my program here, I need debuggers; I am actively trying to find bugs and vulnerabilities in it, then I try to address them as quickly as I can. Of course, I am a single person that's doing this but my program is no where near as complex as phpMyAdmin. As for people installing phpMyAdmin. Great, if you can install or use phpMyAdmin then do that. If you can't get access to it or don't have permission to install it (as in people saying 'no') for whatever reason, then my program is a reasonable alternative.

Edited by Err

You can package multiple files as a ".phar" file, and then distribute the ".phar" file as ".php" to allow people to just upload it and run it.This will make installation trivial... more so that phpMyAdmin.*Also, if you could make it extension agnostic (i.e. it could work with any kind of DB; automatically detect the available extensions of course), you'll have not simply an alternative to phpMyAdmin... you'll have a worthy competitor to it :P .[edit]* See last paragraph in the post below for an example on what I mean with that...[/edit]

Edited by boen_robot

Guest LH91325

Again, I'm sorry to sound overly critical. I'm critiquing your idea. It's why you posted the topic. phpMyAdmin doesn't really have any name per se. You put it in a root domain, put it in a subdirectory, put it in a subdomain, then access it via URL and you get phpMyAdmin. You don't need to add /index.php on the end of your URL so renaming the file is irrelevant. You can name the subdirectory or subdomain anything you like, just like your program. I'm not sure what you mean by "if you can install or use phpMyAdmin." Why wouldn't you be able to do that? You download the distro, unzip it, upload the files to your server, customize its config.inc.php and you're good to go. How is that any different than your program? You copy your files to your server and then add or modify a configuration file to tell the code the username, password, database name etc. Installing either is the same. If you can copy files to your server you can install either. All you need is FTP access and sufficient storage space to store the files. Your project sounds like a great learning exercise. Beyond that I don't understand the point of your project. What are you going to do with it? Sell it? Shareware it? Donationware it? I don't understand why anybody would want to run your software instead of just installing phpMyAdmin. My issue is with the practicality of your endeavor. (By the way, the trick way to "install" phpMyAdmin is to unzip it locally, configure your config.inc.php, then zip it back up. FTP the zip file to your hosting site. Write this small program unzip.php and FTP it to your site too. Then execute it from your browser. Delete the little program and your zip file and phpMyAdmin is installed.)

<?php system('unzip phpMyAdmin.zip'); echo "<p>Done!</p>"; ?>

I'm glad I'm getting feedback but if you can't think of a reason then I'm sorry to hear that. It's freeware as of now but maybe donationware later. Very neat trick. I saved the snippet for reference, could come in handy.