Multiple Option List Selection

ameliabob

If I have two option lists how do I select the value of the second list ?

function displayResult(){var x=document.getElementById("mySelect").selectedIndex;alert(document.getElementsByTagName("option")[x].value);var y = document.getElementById("myVeggies").selectedIndex;/* Question goes herewhat is the alert to show which veggie I pickedDo I use something different than 'option'*/ }</script></head><body><form>Select your favorite fruit:<select id="mySelect">  <option value="apple">Apple</option>  <option value="orange">Orange</option>  <option value="pineapple">Pineapple</option>  <option value="banana">Banana</option></select>Select your favorite vegetable:<select id="myVeggies">  <option value="potato">Potato</option>  <option value="carrot">Carrot</option>  <option value="leek">Leek</option></select></form>

Try this -- <script....blah blah blahalert("You chose "+document.myForm.veggies.value); </script<body<form name="myForm" action="nothing.html" method=POST><select name="veggies"><option value="onions">Onions</option><option value="peas">Peas</option></select></form></body> **NOTE** Notice I didn't include lima beans because NOBODY would choose lima beans! hahaahaha

I filled it out as such:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"><script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">function Picked(){                 alert("You chose "+document.myForm.veggies.value);}</script type="text/javascript" ><body<form name="myForm" action="nothing.html" method=POST><select name="veggies"><option value="onions">Onions</option><option value="peas">Peas</option></select><button type="button" onclick="Picked()">pick</button></form></body>

and I get a nasty answer that document.myForm.veggies is null or not an object. No matter whether or not I selected Lima Beans ?????

y=document.getElementById('myVeggies');/*Alert*/alert('You choose: '+y.options[y.selectedIndex].value);

EDIT:Make sure you change the <select> tag 'name' attribute, back to 'id' attribute, just like it was in your first post.EX:

<select id="veggies">

The better answer is to use getElementById and the options property. Using the old dot notation should not be relied upon. Something like this:

var fruits = document.getElementById('mySelect'); //get a reference to the fruit selectvar veggies = document.getElementById('myVeggies'); //get a reference to the veggie select var x = fruits.selectedIndex; //get the selected index of the fruits selectalert(fruits.options[x].value); //alert the value of the selected option var y = veggies.selectedIndex; //get the selected index of the veggies selectalert(veggies.options[y].value); //alert the value of the selected option

EDIT: I must be sleeping. This is the second time I've misread a post. It appears eTianbun actually suggested this solution. Sorry eTianbun!

Archived