Ajax

gerit99

My idea is to create a game with PHP,Javascipt and AJAX. But I have some trouble with AJAX. I've read W3schools.com and other pages, but i couldn't figure how I could change a database each time you click a button.<---------- My character btw :D

Edited by gerit99
  • Like 1

I've made a script but it doesn't work. I've tried alot of things but it doesn't work, and since I'm at school i can't show my script. I've used _GET to read the info, and then i updated it.

Edited by gerit99

we need to see the codes and error if any is there, to help you

The problem is, there are no errors. Each keypress triggers this:

var serverRequest=new XMLHttpRequest();function updatePlayerPosition(){serverRequest.open("GET","updatePositions.php?player=1&posTop="+document.getElementById('player').style.posTop+"&posLeft="+document.getElementById('player').style.posTop,true);serverRequest.send();}

updatePositions.php

<?PHP$player = $_GET["player"];$posTop = $_GET["posTop"];$posLeft = $_GET["posLeft"];mysql_query("UPDATE userplayers SET posTop=".$posTop.",posLeft=".$posLeft." WHERE playerID=".$player."");?>

And still I see this: posTop | posLeft 300 | 300

Edited by gerit99

You're missing out really important pieces in the code you're presenting, but even from the little you're giving, it's clear that you're not setting the posTop and posLeft URL variables correctly.You have

serverRequest.open("GET","updatePositions.php?player=1&posTop="+document.getElementById('player').style.posTop+"&posLeft="+document.getElementById('player').style.posTop,true);

but there's no "posTop" property on the "style" object. The "style" object reflects the inline style (as you write them with the "style" attribute). From it, you have the "top" and "left" properties instead, i.e.

serverRequest.open("GET","updatePositions.php?player=1&posTop="+document.getElementById('player').style.top+"&posLeft="+document.getElementById('player').style.left,true);

posTop works too, somehow. That's how i have been scripting it. I also need to paste the important pieces in my script
then as mentioned, please show ALL relevant code. what I don't get, is after the AJAX request get's made, what is supposed to happen? I don't see any callbacks being implemented, and nothing in the PHP code past the query.