WebPages Security Question

Codeguru

I'm trying to get myself aquainted with ASP.NET and I've been following through the WebMatrix Demo here. Now when it it tells me to add the code:

if (!WebSecurity.IsAuthenticated){Response.Redirect("~/Account/Login");}

Adding that to a page in order to redirect it away from a restricted page. Well, on the demo, it seems every page passes the Websecurity.IsAuthenticated check no matter if I have entered a login/password or not on the login screen. Is there a key bit of syntax that wasn't included to finish adding security to specific pages?...

To authenticate you must have something secure to make a comparison typically a database. So, your next step would be to write the script that makes that kind of comparison.

Edited by niche

Okay, I have the code block:

@{// Initialize pagevar username = "";var password = "";var ErrorMessage = "";// If this is a POST request, validate and process dataif (IsPost){username = Request.Form["username"];password = Request.Form["password"];if (username.IsEmpty() || password.IsEmpty()){ErrorMessage = "You must specify a username and password.";}else{// Login, Navigate back to the homepage and exitif (WebSecurity.Login(username, password, false)){Response.Redirect("~/");}else{ErrorMessage = "Login failed";}}}}@if (ErrorMessage!="") {<p>@ErrorMessage</p><p>Please correct the errors and try again.</p>}<form method="post" action=""><fieldset><legend>Log In to Your Account</legend><ol><li><label>Username:</label><input type="text" id="username" name="username" /></li><li><label>Password:</label><input type="password" id="password" name="password" /></li><li><p><input type="submit" value="login" /></p></li></ol></fieldset></form>

I think it's doing that authenticate thing with the "WebSecurity.Login(username, password, false)" line. But the problem is by default, the websecurity.isauthenticated is set to true, at least on my example. Shouldn't it always be a false check if the page is freshly loaded? I did log in with a valid user name and password initially before they had me add the security. Does the initial login just keep the authenticate option set to true?...