need help setting up sql on a mac

demuro1

hello, I am taking a web development class and I need some help. long story short we are making an online store. We are using javascript, php, apache, ajax, and sql. the javascript I have under control at the moment. I have php and pacha turned on. I have installed mysql on my mac. I need to know where I would need to save the database on my mac so I can use it with my website. I would also love some kind of sql editor for mac if you have any suggestions. I have tried phpmyadmin but it won't let me login for some reason. I'd really appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks

phpMyAdmin is the standard web-based MySQL management program. Check the installation instructions for it if you're having problems getting it set up. MySQL doesn't use files to connect to the database, it uses a server. You need to have a MySQL server running for your PHP scripts to connect to. It's most common for small websites to have the MySQL server installed on the same machine as the web server. If you have a database set up on one server and you want to move it to another server then you would export it from one and import it to another. You can use the MySQL command line tools to do the import and export (MySQL comes with a utility called mysqldump to do that), but most people do the exporting and importing from phpMyAdmin. It's common to export the database as a series of SQL statements that you run on the other server to create the same structure and data.

you might have to start the mysql server, just like you would apache. try

$ mysql server.start

if that works, try logging in

$ mysql -u root -p

i think the default password might be set to your Macs user password. MySQl Workbench or Squirrel are decent SQL desktop clients.