Valid number?

davej

I'm having a problem in Chrome with some navigation values causing exceptions to be thrown when .toFixed is used on them. I am now trying to use...

temp = position.coords....if (temp != null && Number(temp) != NaN)data += temp.toFixed(8);

But this isn't working 100% either, at least not in Firefox. What is the best way to screen for invalid numbers?

Edited by davej

The point of Number() isn't to validate numbers, but to cast to a number.When casting to number, as long as the first character is numeric it is considered a number and it will continue to parse until it finds a non.numeric character. Now that I think of it, NaN is never equal to another NaN. The only way to check that a "number" is not a number is to use isNaN().

Why would you reject that if you can just use the number value though?I mean, you can simply do:

x = new Number(x);if (!isNaN(x)) {    //No problem. Continue with "x", that is now surely a valid number.}

Perhaps it's validation before passing to the server-side. PHP casts to numbers using the same rules as Javascript using (int) or intval(), (float) or floatval()

If a user entered 5abc you might want to reject it simply because a number was expected and they entered something goofy. I had not thought of using a regex for that purpose. Thanks.