Slow host?

crockalley

Is a "slow hosting server" a usual problem? I find that when I upload new CSS or even new versions of images to my host, they won't update in the browser right away, even after refreshing the page several times. This is frustrating, as it prevents me from seeing my updates in real time. Sometimes, however, when I check a different computer, it will display the newer files. I imagine this has to do with browser cache, but shouldn't refreshing do the trick? In FireFox, if I view source code, and check out the CSS file, it shows the old code. I can refresh the CSS, and it shows the new code, but going back to the HTML page, it still references the old code. Just thought I'd throw this out there and see if anyone had any thought. Thanks for any help.

Sounds like a browser problem. My personal workflow is to keep CSS and JavaScript embedded in my HTML document until I'm close to release. Then I move stuff into external files. This eliminates the problem you're describing.

As you said, it only has two probability. First, because of your browser problem. Second, because of you hosting provider delaying problem. In my opinion, it's because of your browser problem. Many hosting provider out there claim that they provide the best service as their can. These including free hosting provider. I have taken survey on 4-5 hosting provider especially free hosting provider and so far they all provide a real time update when you uploading all your work file. I am using Chrome, has setup a website 2 years ago on one of the free hosting provider. So far, I haven't encountered any problem yet. My recommendation is, have a fresh installation for your browser if emptying browser's cache seems don't work or all of other method you try doesn't work. Regards, QilleRz. :)

Edited by QilleRz