Recreating Extract Function?

MrFish

Is it possible to recreate php's extract function? I have a custom implementation I'd like to write. I really just need the change the scope of variables created in a function the without using the GLOBALS array.

I can't comment on the wisdom of this, since I don't really understand your explanation, and it probably doesn't matter. The trick to doing what you want is to use variable variables. This simple loop does the basic extraction. To get the utility provided by all the constants that extract() can use, you'll have to add more code.

foreach ($var_array as $key => $value) {    $$key = $value;}

Well I was trying to get around using this foreach loop everytime I called the function and was hoping I could write a function like the extract function. http://php.net/manua...ion.extract.php But I couldn't think of any way to match the functionality exactly.

$arr = array("test"=>1,"test2"=>2,"test3"=>3); function extract2($arr){	foreach($arr as $key => $val)	{		$$key = $val;	}} function extract3($arr){	 foreach($arr as $key => $val)	 {		 $GLOBALS[$key] = $val;	 }} extract2($arr);echo $test; // obviously this wouldn't work because the scope of the variables are in the function  extract3($arr);echo $GLOBALS["test"]; // works- yes- but not what I intended

If that makes sense. EDIT: How extract works now-

$arr = array("test"=>1,"test2"=>2,"test3"=>3);extract($arr); echo $test; // prints 1

Edited by MrFish

Because I have a lot of xml to parse and to make it simpler I wanted to create a function that would run through an element recursively and create variables without any other hassle.

$valueSheet = <<<TXTcom_status=[Status]com_priceLow=[PriceLow]com_priceHigh=[PriceHigh]com_sqftLow=[SqftLow]com_sqftHigh=[SqftHigh]com_number=SubdivisionNumbercom_name=SubdivisionNamecom_description=SubdivisionDescriptioncom_street1=SubAddress->SubStreet1com_city=SubAddress->Citycom_state=SubAddress->Statecom_lat=SubAddress->SubGeocode->SubLatitudecom_lng=SubAddress->SubGeocode->SubLongitudecom_directions=DrivingDirectionsTXT;  getValues($Subdivision, $valueSheet); echo $com_name; // Some Community

The best I can do is return an array and use extract on that. It's not a road block and 9 extra characters won't kill me I just wanted to see if I could do it like extract is doing it. But I'm guessing I can't replicate that functionality in php.

Edited by MrFish

I don't think there's a way to make a variable in a specific scope other than the current one or globally, but you can use a variable prefix or on the manual page it has examples for extracting to properties of an object or elements of an array if you want to group everything.