many to many relationship

jimfog

I am constructing a table where it holds a many to many relationship with other 2 tables.

This many-to-many table has 2 columns, both of which are foreign keys to 2 other tables.

The many-to-many table is called favorites(it is self-explanatory what it does) and the parent tables are called business users and credentials.Here is an image:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=BE27434B2AAC8130!259&authkey=!ADptTU72dh1KYBc&v=3

As I understand, and tell me if I am wrong, none of these 2 columns must be primary key.

The reason being that a primary key must be unique in every row, but in a many -to-many table many times values are repeated throughout rows.

For example, many orders placed by the same customer(not related with my app).

So, am I right saying that none of the columns must be a primary key?

In addition, now that I am reconsidering things, maybe a many to many table is not needed, just one-to-many, from credentials to favorites.

Since the credentials table holds all the id's of the users of the site.

Edited by jimfog

I'm not sure what the favorites table is for, what is the second column? Can a single user account have multiple sets of credentials? I'm not sure what the relationship is.

As far as primary keys, you can create a primary key that covers both columns.

you were right, I was not so specific. This app has 2 types of users, regular and business, with their credentials(Id,email,password) held in the credentials table.

The rest of the details of these type of users, are held in 2 different tables, regular_users and business_users

Both type of users when using the site have the option of keeping favorites, the favorite item here is business user.

Meaning a regular user and a business user might have as a favorite another business user.

So my question revolves around the structure of a favorites table. So far, I have concluded to one-to-many relationship(FORGET WHAT I AM SAYING TO THE FIRST LINES ON THE POST ABOVE AND CONCENTRATE ON WHAT I AM SAYING NOW).

The favorites table will comprise of 2 columns, the one being a foreign key referencing to the credentials table and the second column(which will hold the favorites items) a foreign key also referencing again the credentials table.The reason that both columns reference the credentials table is that by definition the users that keep favorites and the favorites(being other users---business users) are located all in the credentials table.

How does the above structure sounds?Do you think there is a "hole" in the logic.

Do you want me to add more details?

There is one more thing that I want to ask and has to do with the logic describe above.

Do you think there are any problems by have a 2 cols table which are both foreign keys pointing to a col in another table?

Suppose there are not any problems from it. Do you think is redundant?

Here is an image that visualizes the relationship:

http://sdrv.ms/1fkMlbJ