Layout tutorial?

davej

This is embarrassing...

http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_layout.asp

Do you really want to tell a beginner that they should inline-code every single style? You could easily create a style block in the head.

Also isn't it time to include a little more depth and mention fixed vs. fluid vs. grid vs. responsive?

And don't mention tables except as a historical note.

This is embarrassing...

http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_layout.asp

Do you really want to tell a beginner that they should inline-code every single style? You could easily create a style block in the head.

Also isn't it time to include a little more depth and mention fixed vs. fluid vs. grid vs. responsive?

And don't mention tables except as a historical note.

1) At the bottom of the page

Tip: The biggest advantage of using CSS is that, if you place the CSS code in an external style sheet, your site becomes MUCH EASIER to maintain. You can change the layout of all your pages by editing one file. To learn more about CSS, study our CSS tutorial.

2) Agreed

3) There are legitimate uses for tables, as mentioned twice in the article.

Using <table> to create a nice layout is NOT the correct use of the element. The purpose of the <table> element is to display tabular data!

Edited by thescientist

Yes, but they spend the lower half of the page showing how to to a table-based layout. Sort of a "don't do what I do" situation.

Also while they talk about putting the style into an external css file this would be a lot easier for a newbie to visualize if they had already collected the css into a style block in the head rather than having it scattered as inline.

Yes, W3schools doesn't really have a good tutorial to explain page layout.

Fixed, fluid, grid and responsive are not all mutually exclusive, and I personally see them as just words that people keep throwing around. I wouldn't teach them to people, but rather teach actual useful techniques such as how float can be used to position things or how margins put things into their place.

• Like 1

I'm just suggesting that we've probably moved beyond the "div vs. table" argument that is currently the topic of that page. That was indeed a big topic ten years ago, but not today.