email headers

jimfog

In the the web app I am making I have set up mail link(support@....) where the user by clicking on it, his mail client opens and then he can send a support mail.

This is not a form but only a mailto link.

The question is how am I going to find out the from mail address of the user?

In a form he just fills the corresponding field, but what about in an occasion such as the above?

Do I have to access the email headers?If yes how am I going to do it?

If you have PHP checking the support email address then you can get information that way.

HOW...give me a hint to start working.

This is not a form but only a mailto link.
The question is how am I going to find out the from mail address of the user?

???

Rather than an e-mail why don't you allow them to submit a form? Depending on the severity of the complaint the system could then e-mail you.

Edited by davej

???

Rather than an e-mail why don't you allow them to submit a form? Depending on the severity of the complaint the system could then e-mail you.

I use a form for general inquiries/questions...you are not wrong though to suggest such thing.

I am using link cause that is the practice in many sites(I do not know why)...such as here:https://taxibeat.gr. Go at the contact page and see.

It is a greek site but you can change the language to English.

I am considering to do what you propose though.

If you meant an ordinary mailto link such as...

http://www.w3schools.com/html/tryit.asp?filename=tryhtml_mailto

...I think this is just a simple-minded and outdated approach that now just annoys most people. It only works properly with offline mail programs that people are using much less frequently now-a-days. When I accidentally click on one of these I have to watch Outlook launch and then complain that it has never been configured. Once upon a time everyone was using Outlook or Thunderbird or some other popmail client, but now most people use some form of online mail so they can get to their mail from anywhere.

Edited by davej