Sending E-MAILS

Ashish Sood

Hi All,I tried to make a PHP script which used to send the mails to all the clients for the i thought first to make a dummy scirpt, But its fail during sending the mail. Below is a error messageWarning: mail(): SMTP server response: 530 5.7.1 Client was not authenticated in C:inetpubwwwrootdummyemailemail_script.php on line 10I don't know what authentication its need. Please help me to overcome from this problem.Below is my php script

<?php$from="testturnover@abc.com";$email=$_POST['email'];$subject=$_POST['subject'];$message=$_POST['message'];mail($email, $subject, $message,"From:".$from);print "email has been sent : </br> $email</br>$subject</br>$message</br>";?>

Is this warning appear because of wrong SMTP server address ?

That's right, PHP's mail function does not support authentication. I would recommend using the phpmailer or Pear Mail package instead of the built-in mail function. The mail function is really just an interface to sendmail on a Unix machine, if you're not using sendmail then I wouldn't use the mail function.

Now i am getting the mails, But the mails is clearly in the plain text format below is the output of a mail

First Name : Rohit

Last Name: kapoor

Comments : xyz

I want some formatting on the outgoing mails, Can it will be possible like (If I bold [First Name, Last Name]) so it looks more good

Below is the code..

$from="some@abc.com";$email="Rohit@xyz.com";$subject="You are registered on $date";$message='Fist Name : '.$First."n"                   .'Last Name : '.$last."n"                   .'Comments : '.$comments."n";  mail($email, $subject, $message,"From:".$from, "-f$from");

Thanks in advance

Edited by Ashish Sood

You can send a content-type header to change it to text/html. But, you'll also want a text version if the user's mail client doesn't support HTML email (or they have it disabled). That's another reason to use a library like PhpMailer or Pear Mail. You can create the multi-part email yourself with the correct headers and body content, or you could have one of those libraries do it for you.