white borders always appearing

khan1992

Every time i build a website i always get mysterious borders appearing. Heres the code i have

<!DOCTYPE html><head><html><title>Untitled Document</title><link href="mainstylesheet.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" /><style>.body{	margin: 0px;	padding-bottom: none;		}</style></head><body><div class="header">stuff</div><div class="content1">stuff</div><div class="content2">stuff</div><div class="content3">stuff</div><div class="footer">stuff</div></body></html>

so i always end up doing trial and error and changing padding and what not. Can someone give me a surefire method to avoid this

Yeh thanks that seemed to do the trick around all the divs but now theres gaps between the divs

<!DOCTYPE html><head><html><title>Untitled Document</title><link href="mainstylesheet.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" /><style></style></head><body><div class="header">  <p>stuff</p>  <p> </p></div><div class="content1">  <p>stuff</p>  <p> </p></div><div class="content2">  <p>stuff</p>  <p> </p></div><div class="content3">  <p>stuff</p>  <p> </p>  <p> </p>  <p> </p></div><div class="footer">  <p>stuff</p>  <p> </p></div></body></html>
@charset "utf-8";html, body, header,content1,content2,content3,footer 	 {    margin: 0;    padding: 0;}.header {	background-color: #FFF;	margin: 0;    padding: 0;}.content1 {	background-color: #333;	}.content2 {	background-color: #06F;}.content3 {	background-color: #999;}.footer {	background-color: #CCC;}
Edited by khan1992

Keep it as one file until it is so big that you need to break it up... it is less confusing as one file...

<!DOCTYPE html><html><head><meta charset="utf-8"><title>Untitled</title><style>*{margin: 0;padding: 0;}.header {background-color: #FFF;margin: 0;padding: 0;}.content1 {background-color: #333;	}.content2 {background-color: #06F;}.content3 {background-color: #999;}.footer {background-color: #CCC;}</style></head><body><div class="header">  <p>stuff</p>  <p> </p></div><div class="content1">  <p>stuff</p>  <p> </p></div><div class="content2">  <p>stuff</p>  <p> </p></div><div class="content3">  <p>stuff</p>  <p> </p>  <p> </p>  <p> </p></div><div class="footer">  <p>stuff</p>  <p> </p></div></body></html>

There are gaps between the <div> elements because the <p> elements have margins. You can either remove the margins from the <p> elements or add some padding to the top and bottom of the <div> elements.