Math.pow

alzami

whay it gives me NAN

Math.pow(-.39,0.33);

if you want u can check my previous posts where i made a calculator and check "x^y" button

actually here var cube2 value is giving NAN;

function solve_cube(){	var m=document.getElementById("gets");	var n=document.getElementById("divs");	n.style.display="none";	var a=prompt("put coeff of x^3");	var b=prompt("put coeff of x^2");	var c=prompt("put coeff of x");	var d=prompt("put value of d");	var front=(-b/(3*a));	var three=2*Math.pow(b,3)-(9*a*b*c)+27*(a*a)*d;	var last=Math.pow((b*b-3*a*c),3);	var under_root=(three*three)-(4*last);	var root=Math.sqrt(under_root);	var for_cube_root1=(1/2)*(three+root);	var for_cube_root2=(1/2)*(three-root);	alert(for_cube_root1);	var cube1=Math.pow(for_cube_root1,0.33);	var cube2=Math.pow(for_cube_root2,0.33);	cube1=(1/(3*a))*cube1;	cube2=(1/(3*a))*cube2;	var x1=front-cube1-cube2;		m.value="x1 = "+x1;		}
Edited by alzami

no.its for finding roots of cubic equation of type ax3+bx2+cx+d=0..though it has three roots.here is only for the first root x1;

i am testing with a=1,b=1,c=1,d=1.and cube2 is NAN.i tried with my calculator .if i use(-0.30)^0.33 it give me error.but if i put the - sign out or use no bracket it gives value.but cant figure out what is happening with Math.pow function.cube2 is NAN so x1 auto gets NAN

Edited by alzami