break; problem- shows up on screen

croatiankid

hi i have a contact form and a proccessing script, which is

<?PHPif (!($email) && !($name) && !($lastName) && ! ($des) && ! ($dev) && ! ($seo) && ! ($graph) && ! ($logo) && ! ($banner) && ! ($write) && ! ($maint))	{     require("form1.php");  break;	}	if (!($email) && !($name) && !($lastName))	{  require("form2.php");	}?>

everything from des to maint are checkboxes. form1.php shows "please input email address", "choose checkbox", lastname, firstname etc. form2.php is the same as form1.php except it doesn't say "please pick a checkbox". firstly: is there an easier way to do this?secondly, but mainly (lol):i put a break here so that after i click submit (with nothing selected/typed in) tha it doesn't create 2 forms. however, instead of creating a second form, it says:Fatal error: Cannot break/continue 1 level in /home/www/ec-labs.awardspace.com/action.php on line 5, which i obviouisly don't want showing lol.so can anyone tell me why it shows up, how to make it not show up, or eventually guide me to a simpler way of proccessing the form and creating the error forms (preferably through php, so that i don't have to "require" a document that is physically on the server)

The break only works if you are in a loop, a switch() loop for example. use exti() instead, or die() which is the same.The easier way, is bit of hard to explain for me, but I'll try in an edit:[*Edit:]Say you have a form with input elements. The processor validates the input data in php. But there may be data you don't wat to be able to be input, so you may want to switch back from the processor to the form. This is a very common issue. Well, not an issue, but more like a case :) I suggest, if you are willing to trow back everything you write or spend a lot of time to copy and past things of what you have right now, that you make ONE AND THE SAME file of both the form and the processor. The processor just validates sent data, but if there is none it shows the form. But when there has been data sent, then it validates it against your statements, and stores an error message in a variable if it is unwanted data. After the entire validation, it checks if there has been set an errormessage, and when so it shows the form again but with the error message. I very much hope this is clear :)

Edited by Dan The Prof

The break only works if you are in a loop, a switch() loop for example
A switch statement isn't a loop, it's just a control structure. You can use the break statement to escape out of a for loop, while loop, or do loop. You can also use a continue statement inside a loop to stop the current iteration and go directly to the next.And to the Croat:You only need 1 form. Consider this:
<?php$status_message = "Please fill out the form";$form_submitted = $_POST['submit'];if ($form_submitted){  if ($name == "" || $email == "")    $status_message = "Error: all fields are required";  else  {    //send email, or insert into database, or whatever    $status_message = "Thank you";  }}?><html>...<?php echo $status_message; ?><form action="<?php echo $_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME']; ?>" method="post"><input type="hidden" name="submit" value="true">...form fields...</form>...

Yeah, indeed for-, while-, do- and foreach loops, but also the SWITCH :)And indeed, only one form is needed, with PHP you can store the message that was created differently by each error :) We just love PHP don't we? :)