Site body 100% with stick footer

eiranix

I have a header and a footer that is 100% width. The footer sticks to the bottom when there is a high screen resolution.

The Content area is a fixed width and I would like to have it extend down to the footer on large screens even if the content is short, how can I achieve this?

The content area does not extend to footer, it just gives that impression, its the outermost container giving min-height: 100%; (with htm, body having height:100%; ) that fills the whole viewport/browser screen. The footer is placed under this, which is out of view, until you use minus top margin that matches the height of footer, the content area is then giving a padding at bottom that also matches the footer height, which prevents any text going under the footer.

If the footer and header are block elements, you do not have to set 100% width, they do this by default, matching the width available to them.

Sorry, to be more specific - I'm not using the html footer tag. I am trying to use a div as the footer for better support. Can you explain what I need to add to make the content div always extend down to the footer?

html looks like this:

<div id="container">  <div id="header"></div>  <div id="content"></div>  <div id="footer"></div></div>

Css:

html, body {  margin:0;  height:100%;}#container {  position:relative;  min-height:100%;}#content {  position:relative;  width:960px;  min-height:800px;  margin:0 auto;}#footer {  position: absolute;  height:40px;  bottom:0px;}

It does not matter if div or footer tag the principle is the same.

<div id="container"><div id="header"></div><div id="content"></div> </div><!-- END of container - this will always match height of browser window until content exceeds this height --><div id="footer"><p>by using minus top margin matching the height of footer this will always show at bottom of outer container whose bottom edge will match the bottom edge of browser window until content exceeds this</p></div>
html, body {margin:0;height:100%;}#container {/* position:relative; removed by dsonesuk */min-height:100%;}#content {/* position:relative; removed by dsonesuk */width:960px;/*min-height:800px; removed by dsonesuk as it could interfere with small screens causing scrollbars to appear.  */margin:0 auto;padding-bottom: 40px; /* added by dsonesuk */}#footer {/*position: absolute; removed by dsonesuk */height:40px;/*bottom:0px; removed by dsonesuk */margin-top: -40px; /* added by dsonesuk */}
Edited by dsonesuk

Thanks for the explaination, I see what you mean. It makes a nice sticky footer but it still doesn't make the content div full height...

I have added more to your verison and made it -almost- work how I intended.

The problem with this is the content div does not expand to fit it's contents :(

<body><div id="container">  <div id="header"></div>  <div id="content"><div id="inner-content"><p>Test</p></div></div></div><div id="footer"></div>
html, body {  margin:0;  height:100%;}#container {  height:100%;}#header { position:relative; background-color:green; height:100px; z-index:1;}#content {  position:relative;  overflow:auto; /* stops the bottom overflow */  height:100%;  width:960px;  margin:0 auto;  background-color:red;  margin-top:-100px;}#footer {  position:relative;  height:40px;  margin-top: -40px;  background-color:blue;}#inner-content {  margin:100px 0 40px 0;}
Edited by eiranix

Ok I have come up with a working solution using display:table.

Is this a valid/supported way to do it?

Has anyone got a better way to do it? (maybe with less divs involved?)

<div id="container">  <div id="top"><div id="header"></div></div>  <div id="middle-row">    <div id="middle-cell">      <div id="content">        <p>          Test        </p>      </div>    </div>  </div>  <div id="bottom"><div id="footer"></div></div></div>
html, body {  margin:0;  height:100%;}#container {  width:100%;  height:100%;  display:table;}#top {  height:100px;  display:table-row;}#header { background-color:green; display:table-cell;}#middle-row {  display:table-row;}#middle-cell {  display:table-cell;  height:100%;}#content {  height:100%;  max-width:940px;  padding:10px;  margin:0 auto;  background-color:red;}#bottom {  display:table-row;  height:40px;}#footer {  display:table-cell;  background-color:blue;}

I knew you was going to have problems using height: 100%; for content area, cause i knew it would stay to height of browser window and NOT extend with content.

In these situations you have to use a bit of subterfuge and give the impression that the content area extends to footer, by using a element or in this case a adding empty ("") space after inner-content that uses position absolute, then you make it so it fills the area between header and footer using top: and bottom: properties.

<!DOCTYPE html><html>    <head>        <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">        <title>Document Title</title>        <style type="text/css">            html, body {                margin:0;                height:100%;            }            #container  {                min-height:100%;                position:relative;            }            #container,  #container > *, #container  ~ * {position:relative; z-index: auto;}            #header {                background-color:green;                height:100px;            }            #content,  #content div:after {                position:static;                width:960px;                margin:0 auto;                background-color:red;            }            #content div:after {content: ""; position: absolute; z-index: -1; top: 0; bottom: 0;  }            #footer {                height:40px;                margin-top: -40px;                background-color:blue;            }            #inner-content {                padding-bottom: 40px;                overflow:hidden;            }        </style>    </head>    <body>        <div id="container">            <div id="header"></div>            <div id="content"><div id="inner-content"><p>First Test</p><p>Test</p><p>Test</p><p>Test</p><p>Test</p><p>Test</p><p>Test</p><p>Test</p><p>Test</p><p>Test</p><p>Test</p><p>Test</p><p>Test</p><p>Test</p><p>Test</p><p>Test</p><p>Test</p><p>Test</p><p>Test</p><p>Test</p><p>Test</p><p>Test</p><p>Test</p><p>Last Test</p></div></div>        </div>        <div id="footer"></div>    </body></html>

Using content: means it wont work for older browsers ie IE :) but as i said you can add and use a element instead, and use styling used for '#content div:after'

Ah, thats an interesting way to do it, thanks for the insight :)

A couple of questions:

Does an absolute item always position its left to a static parent's left as long as there is no left/right value set for it?

Is there any reason you write #content div:after instead of just #content:after?

Edited by eiranix

1) Its something i discovered, if you don't set top:, right: left: bottom it vertically usually, but not always depending on browser, position itself close to where you inserted it, left of the parent container, but! in all browsers this is not a problem here as you use top:, bottom: anyway to set these edges positioning.

2) no, that will work as well.