Opinions on AJAX

ThePsion5

Hi guys,I've been reading up on AJAX recently and I like the concept behind it, but every implementation i've seen here at w3schools and several others involves ActiveX scripting, which only works on IE. My question is, how easy is it to write AJAX code without using browser-specific scripts? I hate writing code that works on one browser but breaks in another (and I hate IE, for that matter).

Hi guys,I've been reading up on AJAX recently and I like the concept behind it, but every implementation i've seen here at w3schools and several others involves ActiveX scripting, which only works on IE. My question is, how easy is it to write AJAX code without using browser-specific scripts? I hate writing code that works on one browser but breaks in another (and I hate IE, for that matter).

I think that if you look closely you will see that it actually creates the HttpRequest object in 2 ways...one using ActiveX if the browser is IE and XMLHttpRequest() if it is not IE.If not could you post the code you are using...we'll make it cross browser for you.

I havn't done any coding into it yet, I was just researching it to see if it was worth learning for my own personal and professional use. Also, wouldn't it make more sense to just use the non-ActiveX method, or does the javascript version of it not function properly/as well in IE?

I think W3schools should make a decent AJAX tutorial, not 2 examples that are reaaalllyy hard to understand. Ive also been looking around to use it in a game; but I cant find a good, easy to understand tutorial. :) If you have one please post it.