new html5 tags vs divs

funbinod

I wonder what exactly is difference between some new html5 tags and divs with ids

like-----

<header> </header><section> </section><aside> </aside><footer> </footer>

and

<div id="header"> </div><div id="section"> </div><div id="aside"> </div><div id="footer"> </div>

They're there so that future technology can understand what's contained in them. For example, a search engine might choose to ignore content in the topmost header and footer elements when indexing content from a particular page so that the search result more accurately reflects the page itself.

IDs can't be used like this because there's no standardized convention for which ID means what.

I still have the 'habit' I guess we can call it of using div's with id's, would it be recommended to switch over to using the HTML5 tags for the sake of SEO, screen readers, future technologies? Thanks.

Yes, you should begin using the new semantic HTML elements. For Internet Explorer 8 and under to style them properly you'll need what's called a "shiv". What it does is call document.createElement() for each of the kinds of elements that Internet Explorer doesn't understand and then gives default styles for them.

• 2 weeks later...