PHP Version Selection and Installation

iwato

It has been a very long time, and I apologize for my absence, if I have been missed. Certainly I am happy to be able to have found the time to return.

QUESTION ONE: What is the most recent and stable version of PHP that I can use on Leopard with an Apache 2.2.17 server?QUESTION TWO: Using MacPorts what is the best and easiest way to migrate from PHP 5.2.15 to the most recent and stable version of PHP?BACKGROUND: I have recently set up a test server on my Leopard machine using the pre-installed Apache and PHP applications. It took me two days to achieve my task, and I am very happy with my success. This said, I fear that without the lastest version of PHP I will be unable to achieve my desired objectives -- namely, create builds suitable for current smartphones. Maybe I do not even need to upgrade. Maybe I need to upgrade Apache as well. I am fearful that I will destroy what it took me two days to achieve, and I do not have a lot of time to get back up to speed. My window of freedom is short.Please advise.As before and always hence. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Are there any limitations that would prevent any version of PHP to be used with that OS and server?

You have understood my question well.

Have you tried and failed to install a recent version? Is there any reason to believe that the current version would not work?

Although I have found nothing warning me against such an upgrade, neither have I found anything confirming that such an upgrade will work. I am reluctant to attempt an installation without first finding a confirmation that such an attempt is likely to work.

You won't find one, when people release new versions of software there is really no reason to list everything that it does work with when that list might be ridiculously large. You might find bug reports of things it does not work with, but the people who make PHP aren't going to have a list of every operating system and server combination (with every possible version combination) that it works with. Frankly, they wouldn't even test it on everything.If you don't know if something is going to work then the common solution is to create a virtual machine for your target environment and try it. If it doesn't work then you haven't lost anything.

• Like 1

As JSG referenced, a lot more teams these days are using virtualization tools to manage their environments to reproduce locally what is in production, or to even manage what's in production itself (if you have control over that environment). There is a growing trend for configuring and managing environments that easily supports just this kind of trial and error. Often you start with a base image, one that resembles (as closely as possible) the target (production) environment for your application. From there it is replicated and distributed to developers and into dev and / or staging environments. If you are on shared hosting and can't control those environments, at least you still emulate them with a higher degree of confidence to help minimize issues with your deployments.

Then if you want to make changes, you can clone your base image and make changes and test them out. No work lost, and you will always have your base image. Then it's merely a matter of updating a config, rebuilding your image, and redistributing out to the team. Some tools that are of note are

One of the main reasons I have been working on adding these to my personal project workflow is that it eliminates just such the issue you are seeing, where making changes to a _local_ environment is met with apprehension. With a virtualized work environment, the common denominator is handled for you, and you know any developer with any OS can run exactly what is production without having to mess with their local environment. In fact, developers can now have an image for multiple projects with differing environment requirements and not have to worry about maintaining their machines.

edit: also, why the snark when people are just trying to glean more details from a question you posted soliciting advice / help?

• Like 1

Note of Appreciation: I would like to thank both JSG and the Scientist for their input. As my window of development is brief, I have decided to proceed incrementally and add single extensions, as I require them rather than risk a full-software upgrade. Obviously there is industrial pressure for me to abandon Leopard and upgrade my hardware; then I will need not to worry about a major software upgrade, as it will be provided for me on purchase of a new machine.

In the meantime I have learned that no news is likely good news, when it comes to software compatibility for already ancient innovation. I am amazed by how many good things one can still create, even when one remains light years behind the latest innovations.Once again, many thanks.

NEW QUESTION (SAME TOPIC): Why are there two config.nice files for the Apache server?NEXT NEW QUESTION (SAME TOPIC): Do I choose ../local/Apache2/build/config.nice, ../local/www/apache2/build/config.nice, or both separately when running the following code recommended by Apache:

$ ./config.nice$ make$ make install$ PREFIX/bin/apachectl -k graceful-stop$ PREFIX/bin/apachectl -k start

BACKGROUND: Alas, my incremental approach failed, and my worst fear was realized -- I lost access to my virtual server. So, I have decided to go for broke and upgrade everything -- this only because I discovered that MacPorts determines and installs needed dependencies to make things work. Unfortunately, it installs everything in its own preferred locations that are very different from those selected by Apple Computer. As a result, I have a lot of recon"figuring" to do. Before getting started with my recon"figuring", however, I want to upgrade from my newly installed development version of the Apache server -- namely, Apache 2.4.10 -- to its more stable older brother Apache 2.4.12. To this end Apache has told me to locate the config.nice file. A Spotlight search has revealed that I have two such files located in slightly different locations.

I don't have the answer to those questions, when I recompile PHP and Apache I use WHM's EasyApache tool, so I don't actually do the compilation myself.

Soon I will be an advanced beginner of Apache2 as well. I tried MAMP Pro for awhile and soon realized when you let other people con"figure" for you, you can be easily hung for having done little more than follow your own dream. After my experience with MAMP Pro, I downgraded to MAMP and realized that it was pretty much the same: do it yourself, so that you know what has been done and can more easily resolve unexpected problems further down the line.Already Apache has taught me that my most valuable Apache tool is my log files.