Connecting 2 files

thewindmaker

Hi,I am using a ftp server right now but that besides the point.I was wondering if i make a php file with say a menu bar and all its coding and save it to the ftp folder. Can I use that file in part of all of my other pages but just linking it or something like that? So that I won't have to update each page seperatly to add a new link or something instead I could just update that one menu file?ThanksTWM

That's right, you can include whatever file you want, and you can actually either use parentheses or not:include 'file.txt'; // Works.include ('file.php'); // Works.Check the page that skym linked to for more info.

That's how it works. If there is a file called "file.php" in the same directory as the file with the include statement, then file.php will be included into the same scope and evaluated. If the file is in a different directory on the same server, make sure you specify the path. If the file is on a different server, you are not able to include PHP code, only HTML.Try using require instead of include and see what the error message says.You can get more information here:http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.include.php