Textarea autogrow

wjw

Does anyone know how to make a textarea grow vertically as the user enters text? IE6 does this if you set Display: visible. I know it's an IE bug, but it's the behavior I want and can't get other browsers to do it. Hopefully there is some CSS attribute that will do this.Any help is greatly appreciated!Jason

onkeypress="this.size=this.value.length+1"add that attribute. (I have not tested it.)

It's a bit more complicated i think
<head><script>function resize(){x=document.getElementById('txt').style.height;x=eval( x.slice(0,x.length-2) );x=x+10;document.getElementById('txt').style.height=x;}</script></head><body><textarea style="height:100px;" id="txt" onkeypress="resize();"></textarea><body>

Scott, that's a great idea, but unfortunatley, when you press backspace, it grows longer and longer. That probably wont help :)

Scott, that's a great idea, but unfortunatley, when you press backspace, it grows longer and longer. That probably wont help :)

Thats true :) You could always merge it somehow with this script that detects the length of the textarea and recognises backspace: http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex16/limitinput.htm :)

Thats true  :) You could always merge it somehow with this script that detects the length of the textarea and recognises backspace: http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex16/limitinput.htm  :)

Well I was hoping for a simple combination of CSS attributes that would do the trick but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. I see the potential with scott100's suggestion and will give that a shot early next week. If I get it to work I'll post it.Thanks for the help!

I see the potential with scott100's suggestion and will give that a shot early next week.  If I get it to work I'll post it.
Actually it might not be as hard as i thought to stop it "growing" when delete is pressed.when a key is pressed call the functionDetect which key was pressedif it was the delete key - if(charCode==8) - then delete the length - x=x-10;else it wasn't the delete key so let the textarea grow - x=x+10;That should do it :)