understanding php line

hisoka

argv is for command line use and not relevant to web pages. It is a list of arguments passed to the script when you type a command into PHP set up like a normal application like a C or Pascal program.

$_SERVER["argv"][0]

means $_SERVER is a two dimensioanl array. "argv" is the first dimension making it similar to other $_SERVER contents like $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] but instead of being a single value, it is an array. To access each of the arguments in this array you need the second dimension ie the [0] for the first, [1] for the second and so on.

So by using the two dimensional array can I get a list of all commands line or arguments that can be used ?? and if yes how exactly ? I mean I would like to get , for example , the first , second and third command line . Is it done like this :

<?php echo $_SERVER["argv"][0]; ?> // first command line echoed

<?php echo $_SERVER["argv"][1]; ?> // second command line echoed

<?php echo $_SERVER["argv"][2]; ?> // third command line echoed

??

This is only a "I think so" don't quote me although $_SERVER["argv"][0] is certainly a 2 dimensional array and the PHP manual stays

"argv Contains an array of all the arguments passed to the script when running from the command line."

It is possible to set up PHP to run from the command line you type into your own computer, that is, I think without a separate server for your own use only. I have a server so it's of no use to me and don't know the details.

When you type commands into your command interpreter like "copy file1 file2" the two arguments are "file1" and "file2" so if you have PHP setup in this manner

$_SERVER["argv"][0] would be 'file1' or it could be 'copy' - like I said "never tried it".

$_SERVER["argv"][1] would be 'file2' or it could be 'file1' - ditto

$_SERVER["argv"][2] could be 'file2' - ditto

"

$_SERVER["argv"][0] would be 'file1' or it could be 'copy' - like I said "never tried it".

$_SERVER["argv"][1] would be 'file2' or it could be 'file1' - ditto

$_SERVER["argv"][2] could be 'file2' - ditto"

ARGV is an array containing or holding the values of the arguments passed . "copy" is the command line and file1 , file2 are the arguments passed to it . So

argv[0] is file1

argv[1] is file2

and

$argc = 2 ;

With ARGV there is another called ARGC which is a variable containing or holding the number of arguments passed . So one is an array and the other is a variable . Exciting and interesting .