I need help starting a Wiki

johna100

Ok I need help starting a wiki and I need to know...1. When hosting your own wiki do you have to convert your personal computer to a sever(I only have 1 personal computer and I still want to do things on it and have it run like a normal computer)2.Can I host a wiki for free on a site and costomise it completly how I want with html and css?3.Can I start a wiki by learning some type of web code like xml or something and hosting it in an email account or freewebsite host?Any links to sites with infiormation on wikis would help...-thank you, John Allen

1. Computers can be converted into Servers, Server can run any app. computer can, they just have special software. A real Server has more fans, and spots of HDs.2. Mediawiki is a free wiki script. you can change the layout on it.3. mediawiki is made with php, html, and css. you can not host it on a email account, and you need a host that supports php for mediawiki. you will need access to an advanced lanuage basicly (php, perl, or asp... for other wikis or your own script.)

If you want to host content online, I strongly recommend that you rent space on another server. Different people like doing different things, but unless you want to get into setting up, configuring, and securing a server (and you have enough bandwidth at home to serve internet content), you will probably just want to sign up with a host.

If you want to host content online, I strongly recommend that you rent space on another server.  Different people like doing different things, but unless you want to get into setting up, configuring, and securing a server (and you have enough bandwidth at home to serve internet content), you will probably just want to sign up with a host.

Alright, yeah I think ill go with an online host and whitch language is the best to learn for the layout and design?