the GD library?

ThePsion5

Hi guys,I'd like to use the GD extension for several PHP applications, but the problem is that these applications need to run on different servers running both php 4.3 and 5.x - the documentation for GD confused me a bit, but my interpretation is that the GD library is not installed by default with php 5.x and anything greater than PHP 4.3 - is this actually the case?Also, is there any way to run the GD library during execution? My basic question is, i suppose, can I use the GD library without needing to reconfigure/reinstall PHP if it's not already included? Thanks in advance!

It looks like GD should be included:Since PHP 4.3 there is a bundled version of the GD lib. This bundled version has some additional features like alpha blending, and should be used in preference to the external library since its codebase is better maintained and more stable.Have you tried to use it and are not able to? I don't think there's a way to enable a library during runtime.

Well, I've tried determining if it's installed by calling the gd_info() function, but recieved an error saying the function didn't exist, which seems like a pretty clear sign that it's not installed, lol - thus the confusion. I got the impression that it should have been enabled as well. I installed PHP as a module, not as a CGI or as part of a package. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

To my knowledge you can't do that. However, most servers I've seen do have support for images. But you just may have to set the image support as a requirement for your application, depending how important it is.