User Challenge

paraclete

When I registered for this forum I had to enter a 6 digit security number (often called a User Challenge). Many sites use this on email generating forms and it appears its often done in PHP. I want to create a form to be emailed to me and want a User Challenge code to prevent spam. How is the image of the code generated? How is the value of the code passed on for checking? Thanks for you help.

You could create a number of diffent images and put them in a folder.Then create a database table to hold a image_id, image_text, and image_url.Then use php to generate a random number that you would use as the image_id. Then display the image_url and if what the user inputs is the same as image_text then they are done.Does that help?

Yes - great. Thanks - I can work on that. I suppose I was hoping that since so many people seem to use these things there might be some ready-made source out there. Some of the systems seem to generate the graphic on the fly - or does it only seem like it? I have yet to find a site that repeats its code (when repeatedly refreshed) which sort of implies a directory somewhere with (potentially) hundreds of graphics in.

I am sure it is possible to generate a random code and then create the graphic on the fly. I don't know how to do that in php and I am sure it would run slower if it did. My guess is that there are hundreds of images that they have

There are plenty of algorithms to do that, different algorithms are better at producing images that humans can read but machines can't. The factors are things like different colors for letters, gradient backgrounds, letter deformation, different fonts for letters, different sizes, etc. Most people refer to these as "captchas". There is a huge list of implementations for various programming languages here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captcha