not sure what to search for?...

Parkpre

hi people! :) on the homepage im creating, i have a space thats showing the latest information for the current day.what i'd like for this space is for the content of this area to change every X amount of seconds, so that i can fit more info onto the page!but when the cursor moves over the content it should stay on the current content untill the user rolls outI think this would be best in javascript, so anyone got a link to something that could help? etc?Cheers people! :)

javascript isnt my strong point,where would i add the cleartimeout?

Add the bit in red. document.write('<div onmouseover="clearTimeout(fadecounter)" id="fscroller" style="border:1px solid black;width:'+fwidth+';height:'+fheight+'"></div>');

Add the bit in red.  document.write('<div onmouseover="clearTimeout(fadecounter)" id="fscroller" style="border:1px solid black;width:'+fwidth+';height:'+fheight+'"></div>');

did you test this :) ? it doesnt seem to be working?cheers for helping tho? any ideas why it might not be working?

did you test this  :) ? it doesnt seem to be working?cheers for helping tho? any ideas why it might not be working?

Yeah i tried it.You will find this line of code in the script
  document.write('<div id="fscroller" style="border:1px solid black;width:'+fwidth+';height:'+fheight+'"></div>');

Add this bit in red to that code and it will halt the show document.write('<div onmouseover="clearTimeout(fadecounter)" id="fscroller" style="border:1px solid black;width:'+fwidth+';height:'+fheight+'"></div>');

think i prefere the 1st one, i'll try to get it working!thanks for your help anyways!

This will stop the content.
<script type="text/javascript">/************************************************ Fading Scroller- © Dynamic Drive DHTML code library (www.dynamicdrive.com)* This notice MUST stay intact for legal use* Visit Dynamic Drive at [url="http://www.dynamicdrive.com/"]http://www.dynamicdrive.com/[/url] for full source code***********************************************/var delay = 2000; //set delay between message change (in miliseconds)var maxsteps=30; // number of steps to take to change from start color to endcolorvar stepdelay=40; // time in miliseconds of a single step//**Note: maxsteps*stepdelay will be total time in miliseconds of fading effectvar startcolor= new Array(255,255,255); // start color (red, green, blue)var endcolor=new Array(0,0,0); // end color (red, green, blue)var fcontent=new Array();begintag='<div style="font: normal 14px Arial; padding: 5px;">'; //set opening tag, such as font declarationsfcontent[0]="<b>What\'s new?</b><br>New scripts added to the Scroller category!<br><br>The MoreZone has been updated. <a href='../morezone/index.htm'>Click here to visit</a>";fcontent[1]="Dynamic Drive has been featured on Jars as a top 5% resource, and About.com as a recommended DHTML destination.";fcontent[2]="Ok, enough with these pointless messages. You get the idea behind this script.</a>";closetag='</div>';var fwidth='150px'; //set scroller widthvar fheight='150px'; //set scroller heightvar fadelinks=1;  //should links inside scroller content also fade like text? 0 for no, 1 for yes.///No need to edit below this line/////////////////var ie4=document.all&&!document.getElementById;var DOM2=document.getElementById;var faderdelay=0;var index=0;/*Rafael Raposo edited function*///function to change contentfunction changecontent(){  if (index>=fcontent.length)    index=0  if (DOM2){    document.getElementById("fscroller").style.color="rgb("+startcolor[0]+", "+startcolor[1]+", "+startcolor[2]+")"    document.getElementById("fscroller").innerHTML=begintag+fcontent[index]+closetag    if (fadelinks)      linkcolorchange(1);    colorfade(1, 15);  }  else if (ie4)    document.all.fscroller.innerHTML=begintag+fcontent[index]+closetag;  index++}// colorfade() partially by Marcio Galli for Netscape Communications.  ////////////// Modified by Dynamicdrive.comfunction linkcolorchange(step){  var obj=document.getElementById("fscroller").getElementsByTagName("A");  if (obj.length>0){    for (i=0;i<obj.length;i++)      obj[i].style.color=getstepcolor(step);  }}/*Rafael Raposo edited function*/var fadecounter;function colorfade(step) {  if(step<=maxsteps) {	    document.getElementById("fscroller").style.color=getstepcolor(step);    if (fadelinks)      linkcolorchange(step);    step++;    fadecounter=setTimeout("colorfade("+step+")",stepdelay);  }else{    clearTimeout(fadecounter);    document.getElementById("fscroller").style.color="rgb("+endcolor[0]+", "+endcolor[1]+", "+endcolor[2]+")";    setTimeout("changecontent()", delay);	  }   }/*Rafael Raposo's new function*/function getstepcolor(step) {  var diff  var newcolor=new Array(3);  for(var i=0;i<3;i++) {    diff = (startcolor[i]-endcolor[i]);    if(diff > 0) {      newcolor[i] = startcolor[i]-(Math.round((diff/maxsteps))*step);    } else {      newcolor[i] = startcolor[i]+(Math.round((Math.abs(diff)/maxsteps))*step);    }  }  return ("rgb(" + newcolor[0] + ", " + newcolor[1] + ", " + newcolor[2] + ")");}if (ie4||DOM2)  document.write('<div onmouseover="clearTimeout(fadecounter)" id="fscroller" style="border:1px solid black;width:'+fwidth+';height:'+fheight+'"></div>');if (window.addEventListener)window.addEventListener("load", changecontent, false)else if (window.attachEvent)window.attachEvent("onload", changecontent)else if (document.getElementById)window.onload=changecontent</script>

The only problem is starting it again, if you try onmouseout="changecontent()" the whole thing flickers and goes nuts :)