Blog-like DB structure

lugos

Hello,I'm relatively new to SQL and databases in general. I am not too familar with the terminology. I want to do a personal website where I can post messages and allow people to respond (similar to a blog). For the database structure/design, I was thinking of having one table for my original message, and in that table including an INT column that the database automatically increments every time a new row is created (it will be a unique field). The number generated by the database will then be used as a key/identifier in another table that contains the responses. That key/identifier will be used to link the responses to my original message. I hope that makes sense.So basically my question is if this sounds like it can work? Also, feedback and/or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. If there is a better way I would gladly consider it.Thanks,lugos

I usually make a column named ID, int type, unsigned, auto_increment, primary key, for every table, even if it will never actually be used. So what you are saying sounds very logical.

I was thinking of having one table for my original message, and in that table including an INT column that the database automatically increments every time a new row is created (it will be a unique field).  The number generated by the database will then be used as a key/identifier in another table that contains the responses.  That key/identifier will be used to link the responses to my original message.  I hope that makes sense.So basically my question is if this sounds like it can work?

You logic is perfect as far as i understand about database design. I did something like this in my site following this very logic and it works perfectly.A suggestion is to always put an unique identifier even in the responses table in the case you want to edit the responses (bad words, etc). Think this way: every thing you might edit or other tables will take as reference (foreigner key stuff) should have an unique identifier.

• 1 month later...
If you're more into the Blog aspect rather than the coding aspect (although you seem to have the coding down), you should look into the WordPress PHP/MySQL Blog management system.http://wordpress.org if you're interested.
Word Press is alright, I used it for a while. It does seem to have issues when running with PHP5 and I found the editing the templates complicated.Why does every little piece of the template have to have like 3 files? I spend most of the time trying to find the thing I need to change.