Search query string

Devine97

Hi all,

I’m learning to code and building a site to push my learning along. However, I am having a frustrating issue. 

On my site I would like to have search functionality, but for the search to be completed on a different URL. I understand this requires query parameters, but I'm a bit lost.

For example, if my site is “www.mysite.com” I would like a user to be able to input their city (could be any city in the world) and then select an option from a dropdown menu, say ‘running’ or ‘cycling’ and then the combination of the two querys added together and executed on “www.fitnessbuddies123xyz.com” (for example) and if someone had added a listing for a fitness buddy on “www.fitnessbuddies123xyz.com” and the string matched a URL on that site then the results would appear.

My current HTML is below:
Firstly, I have a text box:

<input type="text" class="form-control-lg form-control" id="inputText12" placeholder="City">

And then there is a drop-down menu, with three set options:

<select class="form-control form-control-lg" id="exampleFormControlSelect1">
      <option>Running</option>
      <option>Cycling</option>
      <option>Walking</option>
      </select>

I then have a button:

<a href="url" class="btn btn-lg btn-block btn-primary">Search</a>

Any help on how I can create the query string for the text box and dropdown menu and then execute on an external URL would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!