Blocking VPN likes?

Steven1

I'm developing a platform to promote local business services throughout the UK and wondered what you think of this.

I've added the ability for people to like a business page and the position of search results will be partially based on how many likes a page has. I know some businesses will try to cheat and therefore I am blocking the IP that created the business page from liking their own page but would like to further reduce any possible cheating.

I was thinking that businesses may try to use a VPN to circumvent the IP block. Would it be wise to block anyone using a VPN from liking a page, or would this serve to interfere with genuine likes?

The only reliable solution is to associate likes to an account. Google offers OAuth2 to be able to identify people by their Google accounts.

Thanks for the reply.

I've made it open so you don't have to log in to leave a like; in fact there is no login for users, only for businesses for editing their pages/settings. The problem with Google accounts is not everyone has one.

I just wanted to know what people thought about blocking VPN likes as this should def. reduce the amount of cheating but I wanted to know the potential drawbacks.

I don't see any major drawback aside from how you would achieve that. I'm wondering how you would identify that a user came from a VPN.

Even without a VPN, the business owners may not necessarily always be operating from the same IP address. They might have a dynamic IP or they might be working from a different location.