2 variables per SQl statement

lordfa9

ok this is gonna be a bit long so bear with me plzwhat i need to do is to allow my sql statement to use 2 possible variable inputsFor example:SELECT * FROM A ORDER BY BWhere A and B are the variables i want the user to input before the query is run Currently, i'm using this code for that page and to define the order by clause

<html><body><table border="1" width="100%" bgcolor="#fff5ee"><tr><th align="left" bgcolor="#b0c4de"><a href="haha3.asp?sort=subjectname">Subject</a></th><th align="left" bgcolor="#b0c4de"><a href="haha3.asp?sort=dategiven">Date Given</a></th><th align="left" bgcolor="#b0c4de"><a href="haha3.asp?sort=datedue">Date Due</a></th></tr><%if request.querystring("sort")<>"" then   sort=request.querystring("sort")else   sort="dategiven"end ifset conn=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")conn.Provider="Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0"conn.Open(Server.Mappath("/database.mdb"))set rs=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.recordset")sql="SELECT * FROM 1E1 ORDER BY " & sortrs.Open sql,conndo until rs.EOF   response.write("<tr>")   for each x in rs.Fields     response.write("<td>" & x.value & "</td>")   next   rs.MoveNext   response.write("</tr>")looprs.closeconn.close%></table></body></html>

haha3.asp is the name of the script itself and 1E1 is the table namei actually tried a variant of the script where i changed the SQL statement to SELECT * FROM " & sortthen changing the table script to

<table border="1" width="100%" bgcolor="#fff5ee"><tr><th align="left" bgcolor="#b0c4de"><a href="haha3.asp?sort=1E1">1E1</a></th><th align="left" bgcolor="#b0c4de"><a href="haha3.asp?sort=2E1">2E1</a></th><th align="left" bgcolor="#b0c4de"><a href="haha3.asp?sort=3E1">3E1</a></th></tr>

it worked and i was able to toggle from class to class but lost the order by functionso the question is how am i going to combine both??Appreciate no comments bout the database construction, its supposed to be that way <_< Thanks for taking the patience to read this, all help is appreciated. Sorry if i am asking a question that appears in a tutorial somewhere, a link to that tutorial would be very helpful

You have to send two querystring parametars, sort and table name.Your link have to be like this:<a href="haha3.asp?sort=dategiven&tblname=1E1">Link</a>and then when constructing SQL statement your sql statemant should look like this:sort = Request.QueryString("sort")tblname = Request.QueryString("tblname")strSQL = "SELECT * FROM '" & tblname & "' & ORDER BY '" & sort & "';"

You have to send two querystring parametars, sort and table name.Your link have to be like this:<a href="haha3.asp?sort=dategiven&tblname=1E1">Link</a>and then when constructing SQL statement your sql statemant should look like this:sort = Request.QueryString("sort")tblname = Request.QueryString("tblname")strSQL = "SELECT * FROM '" & tblname & "' & ORDER BY '" & sort & "';"
thx for the tip man :) dont really understand the sql statement though i got away with usingsql="SELECT * " & tblname & " Order BY " & sort & ""*shrugs*