Line break and lists in XML

Dear all,

Unfortunately I never learned programming properly, but I sometimes use XML to add custom content controls to Word documents and it is extremely useful to me. In Word I use the Developer > XML mapping pane - and the on the right side - XML mapping > Custom XML part to add my XML code (usually a simple .txt file) selecting the (Add new part...) from the dropdown list.

Now say that I added the following code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
<XMLname xmlns="XMLID">

<item1>This is my custom XML part. It helps me greatly. I'd like to improve my knowledge and my codes.</item1>

<item2></item2>

</XMLname>

So far so good, if I insert 'item2' as a Rich Text content control, it gives me an empty field I can freely edit.

But here come my two problems:

If I insert 'item1' as a Rich Text content control, it gives me a field filled with the text I set, and it will look like this:

<item1>This is my custom XML part. It helps me greatly. I'd like to improve my knowledge and my codes.</item1>

appears in Word as:

This is my custom XML part. It helps me greatly. I'd like to improve my knowledge and my codes.

QUESTION 1:

The above result is still useful (since I can edit the field as I see fit), but is there a way to add a line break?

So, what I'd like to see is:

<item1>???</item1>

to appear in Word as:

This is my custom XML part.

It helps me greatly.

I'd like to improve my knowledge and my codes.

Is there a simple way in XML to do this (without adding a new tag)? Something like the '\n' in HTML?

QUESTION 2:

Is there a simple way to make a list of the text? Again, like the <ul> tag in HTML, but without using additional tags. So for example

<item1>???</item1>

to appear in Word as:

1) This is my custom XML part.

2) It helps me greatly.

3) I'd like to improve

a) my knowledge and

b) my codes.

And if there is a way, how can I add different list styles and subpoints to the points?

Thank you all in advance, a simple answer to question 1 would help me a lot.