How to change Home Page

Garstew

I'm taking over my website updating with no experience other than some initial tips which the previous programmer (now retired) gave me quickly. I've managed to update a few items successfully. I have a question on the home page...I understand the home page is the "index.htm" document. I want to update the home page. I was told to click 'Edit in HTML Editor' to do this. However, if I make mistakes I don't want the changes to go 'live' until I know the changes are correct. Is there some way of copying the "index.htm" to my hard drive, making the changes there, then upload to website when I know all is good? Second, as per the screen shot below, do I make all the changes in the 'Edit in HTML Editor' or do I use 'Edit in Code Editor' or 'Edit in Text Editor' to get all of the formatting correct re paragraph spacing, etc.? Thanks for any advice.

image.png.c7bcf48a4279865fadc0db657b7c41c8.png

I am unaware of the editor program you seem to be using.  I use a regular text editor to create the HTML file.  I test the file contents with any browser.  I run the scripts on my local computer before I put them "live" on the internet. You might be best advised to follow one of the many tutorials that create HTML/CSS/JS programs found on the web.