PHP OOP Classes/Objects tutorial

Muck A. Round

When I "Try it yourself" on the first example, and hit RUN, nothing appears in the right box.  Is this correct?  If so, I'm not sure of the point.  Below is the code for that example.

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<body>

<?php
class Fruit {
  // Properties
  public $name;
  public $color;

// Methods
  function set_name($name) {
    $this->name = $name;
  }
  function get_name() {
    return $this->name;
  }
}
?>

</body>
</html>

That is correct. The code defines a class, but nothing will happen if you don't use the class.

Do they really have a try-it example with this code?

23 hours ago, Ingolme said:

That is correct. The code defines a class, but nothing will happen if you don't use the class.

Yes - that's the code copy/pasted from the "Try it yourself".   So they could have explained nothing would happen (or even not bother making it a "Try it yourself" when trying it doesn't do anything except show you the code again?).   Looking at subsequent examples, I see that more code is necessary.  It's good to know what these layers of code do, but was a little confusing when you hit the button and nothing happens.

On 8/5/2021 at 10:21 AM, Ingolme said:

It seems there are more examples later in this section where they have a "Try it yourself" but the code doesn't produce anything in the output.  It would be clearer if they either modified the code to produce at least something, or explain that the code won't produce any output because xyz.