Connecting to a database,

Splurd

I have a database. (whoopie)I have a cd. (whoopie)I have to get some way to get data from the database when its burnt onto a CD. (o crap)I have no idea how to do this, so was thinking if it was possible to do it via javascript. Or any other language. Or any easy method.

The database surely can be burned on a CD. But as of use as a database, CDs can't function as a database medium. Besides, JavaScript can't in any way access a database so that is not an option either. You can use files in javascript language to define variables or objects to save data, but that is always static and can't be modified by your users only you. And CDs are no server-side medium, and no public either. So if you have a database on a CD-rom, you can use it to build your site on, and you would be able to see the site with the data from the CD-rom and such, but none of your users that use another computer can.You should take a look in server-side languages, which are definately the ones you should use when concerning databases, for both security and public possibilities :) Php for example in conjunction with MySQL are a perfect couple :)

I cannot use servers because this is being burn on a CD to be passed to customers.I dont need to write to the database, only to read from it.The database contains a catalague of products. I need to make a webpage, that can read from this database and display the data. And all of this should be on a CD so its portable and no internet access is needed.

I don't think that is possible because also database software is needed to interact with the database. And database software such as MySQL must be on a server. Sorry :)You do can make a vertual server though, but on a special portable harddrive which was specially designed to act as a server. These special harddrives drive much slower compared to those of personal computers (the turning amount, which must be as low as possible). So if you want a portable server, that is possible, but not on a CD. CDs arent designed to hold database software, unsless as an installer :)

It might work if you use a MS Access database since it is a file not a DB server.The only problem I can see with that is that every customer will have a different letter assigned to their cd drive.You would need a "intro" form to get the user to input the drive letter of their cd rom.But your best bet is to use this.... http://portablewebap.com/