PHP and ror

businessman332211@hotmail.com

I am wanting to get a good stepping stool for this and make sure it's even worth my time. I know for a fact ajax is worth my time and it's something I need to, and want to learn, I am also going to learn rss soon. The other language I have my sites on is ruby on rails. I always want my main programming language to be php, I might even pick up enough asp and jsp to be able to use them, and do something with them, BUT I will always use php as my main. The thing I want to currently ask is, I know a little about what ruby on rails is. The thing I need to ask is, how can it be used in relation to php, I am pretty sure it's not a server side programming language, is it something I can use with php, or somethign that will end up ultimately replacing php, if I started using it.I want to learn what I call, all the aiding languages first.Like languages I generlaly use on everythingFor instancexhtml/css is always layout and design.PHP/mysql is my server side and database of choice.Javascript(with advanced ajax once I learn), I use a a browser side language, and ajax as a supplement to my applications. Now I come to the point where I am eyeing ruby on rails, where does it fit into this equation. Is it something(like ajax) can be just a supplement to my other languages, or will it end up taking over one or more of those languages if I started implementing it. That is what is going to help me decide whether to start learning it or not.

It looks like its basically all object oriented (I am not a fan, since I dont really know too much on how to use OOP yet, confusing, but usually very powerful) programming language thats compiled..Im probably wrong though.