What is it all?

joecoolaug

I have been browsing the javascript forum a lot... I am totally confused. I've seen so much code and so many terms that I'm unfamiliar with that my head is beginning to spin... I mean literally... my head is spinning (you can imagine that if you want to). I'm entirely sure that they aren't in the JS forums because I've read them at least 7 times. I'd like it if W3schools could explain things better and get into more complex code in the tutorial... but anyway. Could somebody please explain these three following things to me. They're the most common things I'm unfamiliar with.A JS cookie: Yes, I know it's in the tutorial; but they explain so little --in fact, pretty much nothing-- about the setCookie(), getCookie(), and checkCookie() functions and whatever other code there is.AJAX: I've heard this so much on the JS forums. I have no clue what it is, but I suspect it to be a scripting language similar to javascript. I don't feel like looking it up on Google or anything, so could someone explain it to me? (Yes, I know, I am lazy; but I'm also tired.)A mime: I'm not sure if this has to do with javascript, AJAX, VBScript, or astrophysical engineering. Yep, I'm totally in the dark. I don't suppose it has anything to do with those clowns that have made a vow of silence. (If you're a mime, I mean no offense to you by calling you a clown: sorry)

1) JS Cookies are the same as any other web coding cookie, just google javascript cookies to learn more on them.2) AJAX is javascript that can "call" pages to run them, so you can run php scripts without refreshing the page. I have a chat done with this on my site (http://rsbattlehelp.com). It just calls a certain page with javascript and doesnt refresh the page, very useful for updating certain things!3) Im not too sure on this, I do beleive it is to tell the browser exactly how to process certain things.

Mime's are also useful when creating dynamic images---make the image with server side scripting and then make the browser think it's an image and proccess it as one, giving you the dynamic image. :)

Mime's are also useful when creating dynamic images---make the image with server side scripting and then make the browser think it's an image and proccess it as one, giving you the dynamic image. :blink:
You are talking about Content-Type headers don't you? Yeah, that is very cool indeed. I already use it to create a PHP stylesheet :):) Looks a bit (very) strange when you see the following, that does is valid with such header::
<link type="text/css" rel ="stylesheet" src="stylesheet.php" />

:)(still anyone not knowing how to use javascript in the stylesheet? even better: use PHP!)