The right Controller for MySQL

miffe

Ok, we all know that MS Access joins with ASP to make web interfases, MySQL joins with PHP to make web interfases, Access can also be used with JET or ADO to make Visual Basic or .NET computer interfases, now... Lets say I want to make a program to control a MySQL database...I get the MySQL Server installed on one server for a company, then on all client computers, how could I manage the database? What Programming Language do you recommend to manage a MySQL DB? Would it be better to code it in Access or MS SQL Server and code with windows? Or transfer to Linux? (It's not a massive database with hundreds of users, maybe just 10-15 users max.)Thanks,Miffe

Windwos or Linux, it doesn't matter but I would recommend using PHP because it has so much built in support. Check the the hosting company supports PHP...if they are using PHP5 make sure they have the mysql extensions installed because they no longer come "pre-installed" with PHP5

Windwos or Linux, it doesn't matter but I would recommend using PHP because it has so much built in support. Check the the hosting company supports PHP...if they are using PHP5 make sure they have the mysql extensions installed because they no longer come "pre-installed" with PHP5
ok thanks, now lets say i am going to host the server... ill download mysql server and install it, and download php5 and mysql extensions... all this will be inside a same company in the same building... i guess ill have to download Apache and run the .php files and the database on a server pc to give DB access to the other members of the internal LAN...I have two questions:1. how can i protect the database / website from being accessed from outside the LAN/router?2. how can i establish rights in my MySQL database, lets say i want to give certain table permissions to one user, and other vieweing permissions to another user, etc. ?thanks,miffe

you should download and install phpMyAdmin...it is a GUI for MySQL. It makes everything easy.As for protecting your site fromt he outside...I do not know much about routers or Apache (I am a IIS guy) but there are a few guys on here who seem to know alot about Apache