pagination

babydoll

hithis my script for pagination it is working partly.am happy for that but, it only displays the 1st page, no links to the second pageso the remaining rows too are not displayed.here is the code, help anybody please

include ('connection.php');		$limit		  = 10;	 // sets limit of how many results to show per page		  	$query_count	= "SELECT count(*) FROM topics";		$result_count   = mysql_query($query_count);		$totalrows	  = mysql_num_rows($result_count); // a count of all the total rows in the table//Checks if the $page variable is empty (not set)// If it is empty, then we are on page 1 	if(empty($page)){		$page = 1;	}			$limitvalue = $page * $limit - ($limit); // data start check ie for each page which row is to satr from	//database query to select items for diaplay	$query  = "SELECT * FROM topics order by post_timestamp desc LIMIT $limitvalue, $limit";			$result = mysql_query($query) or die("Error: " . mysql_error()); 	if(mysql_num_rows($result) == 0){		echo("Nothing to Display!"); // a msessage for when table is empty	}  //data display	echo "<table border=\"1\" cellpadding=\"2\" align=\"centre\">";	echo  "<tr><th>Article Starter</th>";	echo "<th>Article Content</th>";	echo "<th>Module</th>";	echo  "<th> Last Post By  </th>";	echo "<th>Role</th>";	echo  "<th>Date</th>";		  	while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)){				echo  "<tr>";		echo "<td><a href='reply_form2.php?topic=".$row['topic_title']."'>". $row['topic_title']."</a></td>";		echo "<td>". $row['topic_details']."</td>";		echo  "<td>". $row['mod_id']."</td>";		echo  "<td>". $row['topic_creator']."</td>";		echo "<td>".$row['role']."</td>";		echo "<td>" .$row['post_timestamp']."</td>";		echo  "</tr>"; 						}		echo  "</table>";    //setting up the links on the page numbers	if($page != 1){ 		$pageprev = $page--;				echo("<a href=\"new_paging.php?page=$pageprev\"> PREV </a> "); 	}		$numofpages = $totalrows / $limit; 	// We divide our total amount of rows (for example 102) by the limit (25). 	//This will yield items per page also number of pages, if we have extra rows remaining 		for($i = 1; $i <= $numofpages; $i++){		if($i == $page){			echo($i." ");		}else{			echo("<a href=\"new_paging.php?page=$i\">$i</a> ");		}	}// here handles the surplus rows	if(($totalrows % $limit) != 0){		if($i == $page){			echo($i." ");		}		else{		   echo("<a href=\"new_paging.php?page=$i\">$i</a> ");		}		if(($totalrows - ($limit * $page)) > 0){		$pagenext = $page++;		 		echo("<a href=\"new_paging.php?page=$pagenext\"> NEXT </a>"); 	}	}			mysql_free_result($result);

how does one paste php code in this forum because it makes it easier to read the code.thanks :)

Here is your problem:

//setting up the links on the page numbers	if($page != 1){ 		$pageprev = $page--;...	if(($totalrows - ($limit * $page)) > 0){		$pagenext = $page++;

$page-- is the same thing as saying $page = $page - 1;So your line up there is the same as doing this:$pageprev = $page = $page - 1;You subtract one from $page, store that back into $page, and then store that into $pageprev. This puts the right value in $pageprev, but the problem is that for the rest of the page, the value of $page is smaller than it should be. Try something like this:

//setting up the links on the page numbers	if($page != 1){ 		$pageprev = $page - 1;...	if(($totalrows - ($limit * $page)) > 0){		$pagenext = $page + 1;